History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Gate House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hunsdon, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7983 / 51°47'53"N

Longitude: 0.0489 / 0°2'55"E

OS Eastings: 541381

OS Northings: 213054

OS Grid: TL413130

Mapcode National: GBR LD7.75L

Mapcode Global: VHHM5.S2Q8

Entry Name: The Gate House

Listing Date: 19 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101946

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159993

Location: Hunsdon, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hunsdon

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hunsdon

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stanstead Abbots

Listing Text

TL 4113 HUNSDON HUNSDONBURY
(west side)

8/21 The Gate House

-

GV II


Wing of house, now a separate house. 1832 by Kemp for Revd
Nicolsen Robert Calvert (inscription in cellar noted by Gibbs
(1915) 22). 2 storeys, attic and basement white brick Gothic
house facing N. formerly part of Hunsdonbury nearby to S. Steep
gabled tile roofs with stucco gabled dormers, heavy stucco
moulding to gable and eaves parapets. Raised stucco surrounds to
openings with square-headed moulded labels and boldly modelled
heads as finials. Front faces N with 2 windows. Central door
with fanlight and large chimney breaking up from moulded parapet
with quatrefoil shield panel and 3 octagonal chimneys over with
plaster base, brown brick shafts and caps in the form of panelled
fonts. Flemish bond. 3-light wooden casement windows with
pointed lights. 6-pane studded door. Gabled wing set back at
left with 5-light moulded mullioned window with pointed leads to
lights on Ground floor and 3-light window on 1st floor. 3 shaft
side chimney similar to other. Short lower rear wing and modern
square conservatory in the angle. An interesting early C19 Gothic
building. Part of group with Hunsdonbury to S, of which it
formerly was a part.


Listing NGR: TL4144713107

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.