History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fox and Hounds Public House Opposite the Post Office

A Grade II Listed Building in Hunsdon, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8071 / 51°48'25"N

Longitude: 0.0536 / 0°3'12"E

OS Eastings: 541676

OS Northings: 214044

OS Grid: TL416140

Mapcode National: GBR LD1.NCF

Mapcode Global: VHHLZ.WV51

Entry Name: Fox and Hounds Public House Opposite the Post Office

Listing Date: 19 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101981

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159975

Location: Hunsdon, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hunsdon

Built-Up Area: Hunsdon

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hunsdon

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stanstead Abbots

Listing Text

TL 4114 HUNSDON HIGH STREET
(east side)
Hunsdon village

7/14 Fox and Hounds PH
opposite the
- Post Office

GV II


House, now a PH. C17, altered and E range rebuilt in early C18,
windows altered in early C19, single storey extension to SE in
later C19. Large, L-shaped, 2 storeys and attics, timberframed
plastered house facing N. Steep old red tiled roof, gabled at W
but E range hipped. Single storey grey brick extension at SE
with parallel hipped slate roofs. Stair tower at rear in the
angle of the wings in line with the large central chimney of the
front range. Formal 3 windows N front with 2 flat-topped dormers
with sash windows, coved eaves, plain margins around windows,
flush sashes with moulded architraves and 6/6 panes. Central
half-glazed door has a moulded architrave, swelled frieze and
cornice to the flat hood carried on 2 slender Tuscan columns on
high plinths and 2 half column responds. Ground floor has triple
sash windows with 2/2:6/6:2/2 panes. Bar door to right in
moulded doorcase with flat hood on shaped brackets. Symmetrical
E front to garden with similar sash windows with 6/6 panes and
central door. SE brick extension has segmental arches and sash
windows with margin lights. Interior has early C18 cornice to
main Ground floor rooms and a good bolection moulded marble fire
surround (?re-used) in the SE extension. C19 sash windows have
moulded panelled shutters included within the internal
architrave. Probably the site of Hykmans, freehold in 1532:
doctor's house: became a pub in 1830s when landowner demolished
another public house (HLHS (1979) 37). Tithe Award of 1843
signed at a meeting at the Fox and Hounds (HRO). A large C17
timberframed plastered house with a wide early C18 cross wing and
surviving features of special interest. Part of a picturesque
group in the village Conservation Area.


Listing NGR: TL4167614044

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.