History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Village Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Hunsdon, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8078 / 51°48'28"N

Longitude: 0.0546 / 0°3'16"E

OS Eastings: 541746

OS Northings: 214124

OS Grid: TL417141

Mapcode National: GBR LD1.NLV

Mapcode Global: VHHLZ.WTQJ

Entry Name: Village Hall

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Last Amended: 19 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101984

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159984

Location: Hunsdon, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hunsdon

Built-Up Area: Hunsdon

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hunsdon

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stanstead Abbots

Listing Text

TL 4114 HUNSDON HIGH STREET
(west side)
Hunsdon village

7/23 No 43, Village Hall
and No 47 (Formerly
24.1.67 listed as Village Hall)
opposite Acorn Street

GV II


School, now village hall and 2 houses adjoining. Early C18,
incorporating possibly older part at rear, altered to present
appearance in early C19. Timberframed plastered symmetrical
cross-shaped building with steep red tiled roofs, facing S. 2 2-
storeys hipped roof domestic wings flank a higher single storey
former schoolroom with jettied half-timbered gable end to street.
It became the Village Hall c1924 and was extended to the rear in
red brick incorporating the old brick walls of a lower building.
Modern low rear extension not of special interest. The lefthand
wing, No 43, is now a separate house: No 47 on the right is the
caretaker's house. These wings each have a 3-light wooden
casement window on each floor, a side entrance with C19 flush
panelled door, and a large red brick rectangular central chimney
through the ridge at the junction with the hall, topped by 2 tall
grey brick C19 octagonal shafts with ornamental caps and bases.
Each has 1 main room on each floor with stair and lobby on the
side wall, but a shallow 2 storeys C19 rear extension under a
continuation of the main roof gives more space. At No 43, this
is timberframed and weatherboarded but at No 47 (the former
teacher's house) in grey brick. The lofty schoolroom is probably
little-changed from the single room 'of fair size' noted by the
Schools Inspector in 1855 (HLHS (1979) 55). It has a 6-bay
arc-hbraced collar roof carried on simple corbels. The lower part
of the front wall with its central doorway are probably early
C18. The wide doorway has a shortened panelled canopy carried on
enriched console brackets and a moulded dentilled cornice with
enriched mouldings. Early C19 reeded pilasters have been added
and a small rectangular window each side with a small-paned cast
iron casement. there is an C18 ovolo moulded door with raised
and fielded panels, between schoolroom and teacher's house. The
present jettied gable wall with a striking pattern of exposed
timbers, a large mullioned and transomed leaded central window,
cusped bargeboard and roll moulded bressumer was probably an
alteration of c1837 (date on the chimney of No 41) when a larger
composition with jettied pavilions to right and left was formed,
linked by high plastered screen walls to the cruciform central
block. The jetty has long been supported on 4 wooden posts. By
1846, the school had joined the Church of England National
Society and remained a National (Church) School up to 1924 (HLHS
(1979) 55). An historic C18 estate school altered as the
centrepiece of a symmetrical Gothic group in the early C19 and
still in public use. The centrepiece of the village Conservation
Area.


Listing NGR: TL4174614124

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.