History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

296, Norton Way South

A Grade II* Listed Building in Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9766 / 51°58'35"N

Longitude: -0.2234 / 0°13'24"W

OS Eastings: 522126

OS Northings: 232389

OS Grid: TL221323

Mapcode National: GBR J72.4B3

Mapcode Global: VHGNM.2LS4

Entry Name: 296, Norton Way South

Listing Date: 7 September 1979

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1102002

English Heritage Legacy ID: 161892

Location: Letchworth Garden City, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG6

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Letchworth Garden City

Locality: Letchworth East

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Letchworth

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Letchworth

Listing Text

NORTON WAY SOUTH
1.
5255
(east side)
No 296
TL 2232 9/85
II*
2.
1906-7 by B Parker. Office designed in an East Anglian vernacular manner for
the Parker and Unwin firm. Originally planned to be double the present size
with a drawing office and private suite as a 'mirror image' of the present
building. The original scheme, however, was modified when Unwin left Letchworth
in 1906. Two bay hall (former drawing office) with solar wing (partner's
office) at north end giving an L-shaped plan. One and a half storeys. Thatched
roof with decorative ridge and brick stack. Half hipped solar wing. Roughcast
walls. Two, three and four light windows (oriel windows at rear with transoms)
with artificial stone surrounds, leaded lights and thatch eyebrows. Recessed
entrance with double doors. Hall/studio with painted brick walls and open
timber roof. Office/solar with copper-hooded, arched fireplace and cruciform
window with stained glass by Hesman of Harpenden. An extension was added in
1937 by B Parker in similar style at the south end; a further addition was
made in 1976 for the Garden City Museum.


Listing NGR: TL2212632389

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.