History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Western Block at the British School

A Grade II Listed Building in North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9458 / 51°56'44"N

Longitude: -0.2756 / 0°16'32"W

OS Eastings: 518618

OS Northings: 228883

OS Grid: TL186288

Mapcode National: GBR H5W.WPR

Mapcode Global: VHGNS.5CN5

Entry Name: North Western Block at the British School

Listing Date: 6 June 1975

Last Amended: 4 June 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1102129

English Heritage Legacy ID: 161595

Location: North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Town: North Hertfordshire

District Council Ward: Hitchin Highbury

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hitchin

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hitchin

Listing Text

TL 1828 NE QUEEN STREET
(South-east side)
834/3/334 North-western block at the
6.6.1975 British School

GV II

Former girls and infants schools. 1857-8. Red brick in Flemish bond, Welsh slate roof. 2-storeys 3 x 12 bays in dignified classical style. First floor band; modillion brick cornice. Road elevation has open pediment with date stone and circular window in tympanium, 3 narrow round-arched windows to 1st floor having 10-pane sashes and key blocks. On ground floor, central projection with 2 stone steps up to 6 panel double door with fanlight below keyed round arch, flanking 6-pane sashes; entablature. Right return of 4:3:5 bays, centre projecting slightly and pedimented. Central doorway with bracketed cornice; end doorway on right. Windows are 16-pane sashes, with 12-pane sashes to centre, and to 1st floor of centre a 12-pane, sash flanked by 8-pane sashes.
HISTORY: Part of the school which was founded originally in 1810 by William Wiltshire, a Hitchin lawyer.

Listing NGR: TL1861828883

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.