History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Corn Exchange

A Grade II Listed Building in North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9477 / 51°56'51"N

Longitude: -0.2793 / 0°16'45"W

OS Eastings: 518362

OS Northings: 229082

OS Grid: TL183290

Mapcode National: GBR H5W.VLH

Mapcode Global: VHGNS.39QS

Entry Name: Former Corn Exchange

Listing Date: 14 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1102132

English Heritage Legacy ID: 161604

Location: North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Town: North Hertfordshire

District Council Ward: Hitchin Highbury

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hitchin

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hitchin

Listing Text

The following building shall be added;

MARKET PLACE
TL 1829 SW 1/339 (West side)
No 32 (Former Corn Exchange)
II GV


Corn exchange. 1853. Red brick with stucco facade; Welsh slate roofs. Corn
exchange hall built to rear of offices to front. Two-storey facade in Mannerist
Classical style. Two large ground-floor windows with glazing bars, are flanked
by Tuscan half-columns; central door architrave, with chamfered jambs and
projecting keyblock, is set in wide Tuscan pilaster; Tuscan end pilasters to
carved brackets flanking plain frieze with egg-and-dart cornice. Rusticated
quoin strips to moulded parapet shaped over central Venetian window with margin-
light sashes; fielded infill panels. Facade crowned by elaborate timber bell
cupola. Hall to rear has panelled door with decorative fanlight, and plate
glass to glazed clerestorey and lantern. Interior: stick-baluster staircase to
front. Vestibule to left of hall lit by glazed dome. Hall has cast-iron columns
to lattice girders and springing for wrought-iron roof of c.1895: sickle-girder
trusses with semi-circular arched ribs set within upper tier of trusses to
lantern. Clock to rear presented in 1853 by farmers attending market.


Listing NGR: TL1836229082

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.