History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Upp Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Braughing, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8964 / 51°53'46"N

Longitude: 0.0439 / 0°2'37"E

OS Eastings: 540729

OS Northings: 223954

OS Grid: TL407239

Mapcode National: GBR LC1.5WS

Mapcode Global: VHHLL.QL1L

Entry Name: Upp Hall

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1102282

English Heritage Legacy ID: 161263

Location: Braughing, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Braughing

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Braughing

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Manuden

Listing Text

TL 42 SW BRAUGHING THE WARREN
(north side)

6/2 Upp Hall

19.10.51

GV II*


Country house. Late C16 or C17, restored and extended c1896.
Red brick with steep old red tile roofs. The older front range
is of 2 storeys and attics and appears to represent the hall and
service end of a house which originally extended to the N beyond
the hall (possibly an older building subsequently demolished).
The house faces W and the N room (the hall now dining room) has a
rear lateral chimney and ovolo-moulded beams. It was probably
entered by a screens passage on the S, in line with the
present front entrance. To the S a kitchen (reception) with a
wide fireplace at its S end, and a further large unheated service
room to the S of it (drawing room). To the E of this room a rear
service room, and to the E of the hall a staircase wing. W front
has a moulded brick floor-band and eaves band with 3 long, 6-
light, mullioned and transomed windows to each floor and 2 large
gables with linked gable parapets, circular recess in apex over
3-light mullioled window. Floor band steps up over entrance door
below left hand gable. Battended door in 4-centre arched wooden
frame under label and brick pediment. Small 3-light window over
door. 2-storeys canted bay window on right hand return added
c1909. Extension 2-storeys in brick and tile with 3-light
casement windows and gable parapets. Hipped dormers to attics to
rear. Interior has exotic fittings - in dining room panelling
said to be from Old Bishops Palace, Salisbury, an overmantle
c1630 arcaded and carved: in reception room C17 oak panelling
said to be from Wood End House, Warwickshire, and arcaded
overmantle. (FCHM (1911) 68: VCH (1912) 311: Pevsner (1977) 311:
Pevsner (1977) 371: RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL4072923954

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.