This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8712 / 51°52'16"N
Longitude: 0.1554 / 0°9'19"E
OS Eastings: 548489
OS Northings: 221373
OS Grid: TL484213
Mapcode National: GBR LCD.Q3N
Mapcode Global: VHHLV.N71D
Entry Name: The Courtyard
Listing Date: 11 July 1983
Last Amended: 21 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102377
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160984
Location: Bishop's Stortford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM23
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Bishop's Stortford
Civil Parish/community: Bishop's Stortford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bishops Stortford
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
The address shall be amended to read:
NO 26B THE COURTYARD
TL 4821 SW:2/93
C17 and later former malthouse and stables to Vyse Court converted to billiard room
and servants' accommodation, mid-late C19. Range at right angles to street. Red
brick, stone dressings, slate roof. Single storey. West elevation to garden of Vyse
Court has large mullioned and transomed bay window on north and two Gothic arch
doorways on south, one with carved foliage, birds and animals. Other Tudor style
windows. Flint panels in parapet. Slated flat top ventilator at north. Interior.
Large former billiard room has Doric screen on south and stuccoed beam ceiling with
fruit and flower ornament. Walls with re-used C17 scratch moulded oak panelling. At
north end is a Jacobean fireplace with strapwork Ionic side pilasters, ovolo cornice
and a 2 field overmantel with rich strapwork and entablature.
Listing NGR: TL4848921373
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings