This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9242 / 51°55'27"N
Longitude: -0.2361 / 0°14'9"W
OS Eastings: 521393
OS Northings: 226548
OS Grid: TL213265
Mapcode National: GBR J7N.753
Mapcode Global: VHGNS.VWKR
Entry Name: Titmore Green Farmhouse
Listing Date: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102466
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162776
Location: Wymondley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Wymondley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Little Wymondley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
WYMONDLEY REDCOATS GREEN
TL 22 NW (South side)
4/164 Titmore Green Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Late medieval hall house, S wing c.1600, heightened and
floored late C17, renovated C19. Timber frame on plastered brick sill,
roughcast. Ground floor front cased in chequered red and blue brick.
Steep old red tile roofs. A 2-storeys H-plan house, set back from road,
facing E. 3 windows to each floor and entrance in angle with N wing.
Front carried up parapet between wings. C18 flush box sash windows with
6/6 panes to S wing, 6/3 above 6/6 to hall, and 3/3 to N wing. 8-panels
fielded door in wooden surround with fluted pilasters, full entablature
and triangular pediment. Rear lateral late C17 chimney to hall, 2
projecting chimney stacks on N side of N wing, large lateral chimney to
S wing. Projecting gabled stair turret at rear in line with entrance
door. Small 2-lights window over front door. Original house had service
bay at S end of open hall in a range with low eaves, and a 2-storeys N
crosswing jettied as a projection to the E. Projecting S cross-wing
formed by additions to the old S bay, c.1600. Alterations in late C17
involved heightening the old range, inserting a floor and rear sidewall
chimney and staircase, converting the service room to a kitchen and
providing new storage space in a narrower W extension of S wing. The
stair turret is sufficiently big to have also accommodated a dairy.
Parlour chimney built or rebuilt in C17 or C18, rear passage to W of
hall C19. (RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL2139326548
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings