History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Elms Including Former Barn Range Linked to East End

A Grade II Listed Building in Wymondley, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9324 / 51°55'56"N

Longitude: -0.2355 / 0°14'7"W

OS Eastings: 521408

OS Northings: 227455

OS Grid: TL214274

Mapcode National: GBR J7G.THP

Mapcode Global: VHGNS.VPVH

Entry Name: The Elms Including Former Barn Range Linked to East End

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1102468

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162778

Location: Wymondley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Wymondley

Built-Up Area: Little Wymondley

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Little Wymondley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stevenage

Listing Text

WYMONDLEY STEVENAGE ROAD
TL 2127 (North side)
Little Wymondley

11/166 The Elms including
27.5.68 former barn range
linked to E end

GV II

Farmhouse and barn, now all one house. C16, used by maltsters from 1695,
C18 W wing, altered and linked to barn on E during C19 or early C20.
Timber frame house and barn, red and black brick W wing and casing to
ground floor of timber frame. Roughcast upper part. Steep old red tile
roofs. A 2-storeys, internal-chimney plan house, set back, with its S
gable towards the road, lower barn range almost parallel to E linked by
single-storey part at its N end, and 2-storeys and attics W wing with
present entrance facing S. Large internal stack of old house has shafts
set in diagonal cruciform pattern above massive base. External large W
gable chimney to W wing. S front has a gabled dormer on the roofslope,
moulded eaves cornice, plat band, roof of W wing extended to engage the
S end of the old house. This end has a treble sash window to 1st floor
above a canted sashed bay window. 3 windows to each floor of W wing.
Flush-box sash windows with flat gauged arches and 6/6 panes. Recessed
6-panels door with flush beaded panels. Cambered head in wooden doorcase
with pilasters, full entablature, and moulded dripboard. E side of old
house has flush casement windows with leaded glazing. Barn on E may have
had floor inserted c.1695 for use as malting or malt store. Its long E
wall has exposed timbers, with close-studding over a plastered brick
base. Red brick infill panels, painted below the eaves. Internal lateral
chimney to rear part. (inf Mr. Farris).


Listing NGR: TL2140827455

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.