History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in King's Walden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.898 / 51°53'52"N

Longitude: -0.3152 / 0°18'54"W

OS Eastings: 516023

OS Northings: 223507

OS Grid: TL160235

Mapcode National: GBR H6D.YZQ

Mapcode Global: VHGNY.HK79

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1102475

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162802

Location: King's Walden, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: King's Walden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: King's Walden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Great Offley

Listing Text

TL 12 SE KINGS WALDEN CHURCH ROAD
(East side)
Kings Walden

4/10 Church of St. Mary
27.5.68
I

Parish church. C12-C13 origin, early C13 nave arcades, late C14 W tower,
C15 clearstorey, early C17 brick NE Hale family mortuary chapel now the
vestry. Restored 1868 by Eden Nesfield when in partnership with Norman
Shaw, with new S porch, refacing of nave, chancel and aisles, and part
rebuilding of chancel and aisles. New oak chancel roof 1909. Flint
rubble with coursed knapped flint facing and deep ashlar parapets to all
except tower and vestry, with stone dressings. Tower has remains of
plaster facing, Totternhoe stone dressings, and several SPAB type tile
repairs to stonework. Oak arcaded S porch on flint and stone plinth. Red
brick. Vestry in English-bond with oak window tracery. Steep old red
tile roofs to chancel, S porch, and vestry, the rest low pitched behind
crenellated parapets (plain to aisles). A village church of square
ended chancel, N vestry, 3-bays nave, aisles, S porch, and large W
tower. The chancel has a high open timber roof with embattled collar
beams, and a patterned floor of coloured and encaustic tiles with
several stone steps to sacristy. Brass inscribed to Sibbill Barber
d.1614. C13 double piscina at SE with lancet window over. Elaborate C13
small S doorway with external jamb shafts and ironwork decoration to
plank door. 3-lights traceried E window with stained glass by Kempe
1901, and similar window to S wall. Stone relief reredos, carved oak
ciborium in arched recess to N of altar, and probably polychrome organ
case and ironwork communion rail, from Nesfield's restoration with
carved work by James Forsyth. Carved serpent by vestry door from Hall
family crest. Alabaster wall monument to Timothy Sheppard, d.1613. Early
C14 wide chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders with half-octagonal
responds, moulded caps, and C15 Perp painted wooden screen with ogee
traceried upper panels and cresting. The 3-bays nave has a plain open
timber roof of king-post roof, tie-beams, wallposts and 2 large C15
stone corbells to E-truss. Narrow rood-loft doorway high up at NE.
3-bays N and S arcades have 2 chamfered orders, short circular pillars
and Transitional scallop, waterleaf and trefoil caps. 3 3-lights
clearstorey windows each side. The narrow N aisle has an open timber
roof with some timbers of C15, a 3-lights pointed N window, a
single-light trefoil W window, C14 pointed doorway and an image bracket
to N of E window. Square-headed piscina at NE. The floor level of this
aisle appears to have been lowered. Wall monuments to Roland Hale
d.1688, and Richard Hale, 1689. Slightly wider S aisle extends a little
to E overlapping chancel, with blocked N communicating door and a wall
locker with door rebate to left. Cinquefoil C14 piscina opposite in S
wall. C15 open timber roof, and C15 3-lights windows at E and S, and
2-lights at SW. The SE window has stained glass and inscribed stone
tablet 1867 by William Morris of 3 archangels, uninfluenced by
Burne-Jones. S doorway C15 of 2 moulded orders with 4-centred arched
head under square head with quarterfoil spandrels, deep hollows, slender
attached shafts with small angels below caps. Head-stops recut and C19
plank door of one leaf with elaborate wrought iron decorative hinge
plates. Gabled S porch has arched entrance, cusped bargeboards,
plaster-vaulted interior, and chip-carved roundels on corner posts one
with chrysanthamum motif (also on rainwater heads). The massive W tower
is of 3 stages marked by chamfered stone bands, stepped corner
buttresses, projecting polygonal stair turret at SE carried higher than
the parapet, C14 2-lights bell-opening on each face with quartrefoil in
pointed head, small single-light window to middle stage, 2-lights C14 W
window, and pointed W door with old oak door. Tower arch to nave C14 of
2 chamfered orders, 2-centred, with jamb shafts. The brick vestry is
rectangular with moulded gable parapets, plinth, plat-band carried up
over 2 depressed pointed segmental arched N window openings as a deep
drip. Oak mullions to 3-lights windows formerly painted as stone, with
old leaded lattice glazing fixed to ferromenta. More elaborate wooden
tracery to interior may have been added. Pointed low doorway down steps
in middle into vault. Similar E window. (RCHM (1911)135-6: VCH
(1912)35-7: Kelly (1914)171: Pevsner (1977)218-9).


Listing NGR: TL1602323507

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.