History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brook End Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Ippolyts, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9299 / 51°55'47"N

Longitude: -0.2611 / 0°15'39"W

OS Eastings: 519661

OS Northings: 227139

OS Grid: TL196271

Mapcode National: GBR J7F.SZR

Mapcode Global: VHGNS.FRBD

Entry Name: Brook End Farmhouse

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Last Amended: 28 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1102510

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162681

Location: St. Ippolyts, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: St Ippolyts

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Ippolyts

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hitchin

Listing Text

ST IPPOLLITTS ST IPPOLLITTS VILLAGE
TL 1927
9/69 Brook End Farmhouse
27.5.68 (formerly listed as Brookend Farmhouse)

GV II

House. C17 or earlier W wing brick cased in 1712, main range renovated
1729 and largely rebuilt after fire c.1775. Timber frame exposed on W
side of W wing, wing cased in narrow red brick in irregular bond. Main
range in red and blue brick. Steep old red tile roofs hipped generally
but parapeted front gable to W wing. A large 2-storeys irregular house,
set back a little from road facing S. Main range parallel with road has
projecting W wing, large rearwall chimney, and an C18 full height rear
service block linked to W wing by a formerly open arcaded brick passage
recessed into back of house. On S front slightly projecting W wing has 2
plat-bands, moulded coping bricks to raking gable parapet, 2 low, wide
flush box sash windows with 4/4 panes and segmental arches, rendered
square sundial panel, Brittania fire insurance mark, and iron letters
M
N S as anchorage for internal longitudinal timbers. Main range has 4
windows to 1st floor, plat-band, parapet, 3 windows to ground floor, and
entrance at LH. Flush box sash windows with segmental arches. Sashes
altered in early C19 to 3/3 panes with margin lights. 6-panels,
half-glazed front door in wooden doorcase with tapered fluted pilasters,
full entablature, and dentilled triangular pediment. 3-lights casement
window to 1st floor rear of W wing which has a crow-stepped E side to
gable fossilised in later addition but moulded raking gable parapet to
other slope. Round-arched arcade with fat impost blocks. Inscription
inside said to be 'MNS 1729'. (RCHM (1911)130 no.3: inf Mrs. Rance: inf
the owners).


Listing NGR: TL1966127139

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.