History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Graveley, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9379 / 51°56'16"N

Longitude: -0.2051 / 0°12'18"W

OS Eastings: 523489

OS Northings: 228125

OS Grid: TL234281

Mapcode National: GBR J7H.GZ1

Mapcode Global: VHGNT.DKG7

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1102525

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162621

Location: Graveley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Graveley

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Graveley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stevenage

Listing Text

GRAVELEY CHURCH LANE
TL 2328 (North side)

12/8 Church of St. Mary
27.5.68
GV I

Parish church. Nave C12; chancel enlarged or rebuilt in C13; W tower
c.1480; nave heightened and reroofed in C15; S porch probably C18; N
aisle, N vestry and general restoration 1887. Flint rubble with stone
dressings. Steep old red tile roofs pyramidal to tower topped by lead
covered standing cross with octagonal tapered shaft. Low pitched lead
roof to nave. Small parish church of shrunken village. Long rectangular
chancel, taller nave with added N aisle and gabled NE vestry, gabled S
porch, tall W tower with crenellated parapet and diagonal buttresses at
W angles. The C13 E windows of the Chancel probably 3 lancets were
replaced c.1500 by a window of 3 cinquefoil lights, but the C13 interior
jambs with edge-roll moulding and part of the arch remain. In N wall 2
C13 lancets and door to C19 vestry. At E end of S wall a C13 lancet
window and at W end a pointed segmental arched window c.1500 with 3
cinquefoil lights and disturbed masonry below cill at position of a
probable low-side window. Jambs of C12 S doorway between windows,
blocked externally and head adapted as pointed window in C13. Early C13
double piscina to S of altar with pointed arches formed by intersecting
boldly moulded semi-circular arches carried on small columns within a
square moulded frame (cf piscina at Jesus College, Camb.). Patterned
vivid stained glass c.1841 in lancets to N and S of altar. Stone reredos
C19 with gabled central aedicule and arcaded flanking parts with painted
panels. Encaustic tile patterned floor to chancel and indent for brass
in slab by door to vestry. Elaborate C19 open timber roof in 3 bays with
ridge-piece and rafters individually strutted from 2 purlins
horizontally and vertically. Pointed segmental chancel arch late C15 of
2 orders, the inner with half octagonal pilasters with moulded caps. C15
oak rood-screen with plain lower panels, 3 bays of 2 cinquefoil tracery
lights each side of arched entrance, embattled cresting, and is said to
have base of central cross remaining. The Nave has 2 windows in the S
wall and clearstorey above. The eastern window c.1330 has 2 cinquefoil
lights and 2-centred arched head with quatrefoil. C15 western window is
similar but with a 4-centred arched head. The S door is set in the lower
part of a tall recess with C12 semi-circular arched head. Piscina below
eastern window has a C12 scalloped capital hollowed out on top for the
drain within a C14 chamfered trefoil recess. Adjoining the N jamb of the
chancel arch a tall shallow C15 niche with 2-centred arch in a moulded
rectangular frame. Semi-circular headed C12 former N doorway of nave
re-used as entrance to vestry from N aisle. The eastern window in the N
wall of the N aisle is a C14 window re-set. 3-bays C15 open timber roof
carried on stone corbels, moulded 4 to middle part but carved heads at
corners. Wall-posts and moulded long curved braces support heavy cambered
moulded tie-beams. Ridge piece, one purlin to each slope and deep
wallplate all moulded and with carved bosses at intersections with
principals and sub-principals, the latter with carved angels with folded
wings next the wall (restored). N arcade of 2 bays with moulded pointed
wide arches of 2 orders with dripmould. Fat octagonal pier and imposts
with moulded caps and bases. Lean-to open timber roof to N aisle with
curved braces from stone corbels. Octagonal limestone font C15 with
trefoil sinkings around bowl and octagonal shaft with moulded base.
Octagonal C19 wooden cover carved with sprays of flowers in relief.
Brass indents in floor slab with incised marginal inscription in
Lombardic capitals ' ..... ELIENORA CONIUX VIRGO SIMULATA [XPUS MEUS?]
ORA QUOD SIT BEATIS SOCIATA'. To E of S door large wall monument to
Margaret Sparhauke d.1770 signed by B. Palmer, marble classical tablet
with framed base and surmounted by a smooth unmoulded urn, its base
flanked by Rococco assymetrical cartouches, against a black obelisk. 2
smaller monuments to W of S door, Timothy Lane d.1807 white marble with
Roman lugs, and an early C19 slab with triangular pediment and
acroteria. Flanking tower arch on LH May Lane d.1775 white marble slab
on 2 corbels and triangular pediment. On RH Frances Burr d.1831 a marble
slab on corbels with guttae with urn over. Some early C14 chip-carved
wooden tracery incorporated into reading desk. W tower has tower arch
and W doorway of late C15, 2 stages with external string courses below
and above the belfry stage which has a 2 lights pointed louvred opening
on each face. Clockface on S just below belfry opening. 3-lights W
window with stopped pointed lights and stained glass of c.1889. West
door of old shiplap vertical oak boarding under pointed arch set in deep
square-headed moulded surround. Label has shield-shaped stops. Moulded
deep stone dado-plinth to base of tower. Attached to exterior of E wall
of chancel 2 oval stone tablets with late C18 inscriptions, LH to Jane
Cheselden d.1795. RH to Mrs. Sarah Nedham. (RCHM (1911)92: VCH
(1912)89-90: Kelly (1914)105: Pevsner (1977)148).


Listing NGR: TL2348928125

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.