This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9248 / 51°55'29"N
Longitude: -0.2663 / 0°15'58"W
OS Eastings: 519312
OS Northings: 226566
OS Grid: TL193265
Mapcode National: GBR H68.CGR
Mapcode Global: VHGNS.BWK9
Entry Name: Observation Stone 4 Metres to North East of Observatory at South Wing, St Ibbs
Listing Date: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102541
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162661
Location: St. Ippolyts, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: St Ippolyts
Built-Up Area: Hitchin
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: St Ippolyts
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
ST IPPOLLITTS LONDON ROAD
TL 12 NE (West side)
3/49 Observation stone 4M to
- NE of observatory at
South Wing, St. Ibbs
Stone for taking astronomical observations. Erected in conjunction with
nearby observatory (q.v.) of 1801 for Rev. William Lax. Portland stone.
A freestone monolith accurately shaped to an upright drum about 1M in
diameter and 1M high with N marked by a small engaged circular shaft
projecting on that side. Centre of drum marked by an iron stud set in
lead. Rounded edges to stone.
Listing NGR: TL1931226566
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings