This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9361 / 51°56'10"N
Longitude: -0.1875 / 0°11'15"W
OS Eastings: 524700
OS Northings: 227954
OS Grid: TL247279
Mapcode National: GBR J7J.FG7
Mapcode Global: VHGNT.PLQM
Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 27 May 1968
Last Amended: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102563
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162614
Location: Graveley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Graveley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Graveley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 22 NW
4/1 Manor Farmhouse
27.5.68 (formerly listed as Chesfield Manor
Manor house, now a farmhouse. C17, part demolished and remainder
converted to a farmhouse in c.1770s, renovated and rear extensions C19.
W wing timber frame, now with roughcast on 1st floor on N and E, exposed
timbers on W side with brick infill, red brick ground floor casing on S
and SW to match red brick of south wing. Steep old red tile hipped
roofs. A 2-storeys and attics house facing S with a long 2-storeys W
wing joined to its NW corner and linked only by a single-storey lean-to.
The S wing has a 2-rooms, end chimneys, single-room-depth plan with an
older very large projecting rearwall chimney to the W room and a large
rear stair tower adjoining it on E. Entrance now by a gabled C19 low
porch in the NW angle of the stair tower and the S wing. W wing has a
large internal chimney a third from the N end a 3-cells plan later
adapted to service rooms. S front has 2 windows to each floor. 3-lights
casement windows on ground floor, 2-lights on 1st floor, and segmental
arched heads on both floors. Sash windows to E end, stair tower, and C19
extension at rear. Near S end of W side of W wing is a 5-lights original
moulded oak mullioned window on the ground floor. 3 tall diagonal shafts
to rearwall chimney of S wing. Interior of W room of this wing said to
have oak panelling. Stair of dog-leg plan, oak with square newels,
moulded caps, and turned balusters. (RCHM (1911)93: VCH (1912)86:
Pevsner (1977)149: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL2470027954
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings