History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 14 and Parish Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Barkway, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0042 / 52°0'14"N

Longitude: 0.0158 / 0°0'56"E

OS Eastings: 538468

OS Northings: 235886

OS Grid: TL384358

Mapcode National: GBR K8B.BST

Mapcode Global: VHHL0.7W7H

Entry Name: Number 14 and Parish Hall

Listing Date: 3 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1102600

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162493

Location: Barkway, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG8

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Barkway

Built-Up Area: Barkway

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Barkway

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Great Chishall

Listing Text

BARKWAY HIGH STREET
TL 3835 (West side)
Barkway

9/39 No. 14, and
Parish Hall

GV II


House and attached parish hall, former reading room. House is late C17,
altered C19 and C20. Timber frame, rendered with panelled pargetting.
Thatched roof. 2 cells. 1 storey and attic. Central entrance with
steps and iron railings up to 6 raised panelled C18 door with date
1692 on lintel. Plinth. 3 light flush moulded frame small pane casements.
2 tall gabled 2 light dormers. Left end external stack rebuilt in C19
with 2 diagonally set shafts. Originally external on right end is a
similar larger stack with 3 diagonally set shafts. Appearing as a
cross wing to right is former reading room of c.1870. Given by the
Hon. Mrs. V. Harcourt. Red brick with black brick diapering. Slate roof.
Gable front: plinth, 8 lattice light mullion and transom casement,
hood mould, quoining, bargeboards. Right return has entrance towards
front, plank door in a gabled porch with an outer depressed gauged brick
arch, towards rear a 4 light mullioned casement with hood mould.
Interior: No. 14 has stop chamfered cross axial bearers, ovolo moulded
axial bearer. Jowled posts to clasped purlin roof. C20 additions to rear
not of special interest.


Listing NGR: TL3846835886

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.