History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Therfield, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0152 / 52°0'54"N

Longitude: -0.0554 / 0°3'19"W

OS Eastings: 533545

OS Northings: 236984

OS Grid: TL335369

Mapcode National: GBR K81.QSB

Mapcode Global: VHGNJ.0L1Z

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Last Amended: 29 January 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1102613

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162426

Location: Therfield, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG8

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Therfield

Built-Up Area: Therfield

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Therfield

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Royston

Listing Text

THERFIELD CHURCH LANE
TL 33 NW
(South side)
Therfield
4/103 The Old Rectory
9.6.52 (formerly listed as
The Rectory)
GV II*
Large house. Late C15 wing, altered in C17. Original open hall replaced
in C17 and again c.1769 for Rev. C. Weston. Extended c.1800 for
Rev. C. Moss, altered 1875. Early wing is flint rubble, rendered, with
clunch dressings. Main block is red brick with burnt headers. Tiled
roofs, some slates. C15 range has form of a gabled cross wing, 2
originally separate and gabled blocks project from outer elevation,
reformed into a rectangular block in C17. 2 storeys. Semi-circular
former stair turret with a small square light to centre of front
elevation of C15 wing. To right: ground floor 4 cinquefoiled lights,
heavily moulded with a bowtell central mullion and square headed
surround, label with grotesque stops, first floor similar 2 light window
restored in C19 with a quatrefoil in a triangle in coped gable. To left
of stair turret, ground floor window now a square headed entrance,
similar surround, first floor 1 and 2 light tall chapel windows, now
blocked, similar surrounds. At right end is a C17 3 stage diagonal brick
buttress. Right return is C17 brick, ground floor C18 glazing bar sash,
shallow reveal, gauged brick flat arched head, moulded plat band to
first floor, 2 cinquefoiled lights as at front, restored in C19. Left
return of C15 wing is largely rebuilt in C17 red brick. Gable towards
front has a large 2 centred arched opening, blocked with an C18 glazing
bar sash inserted. Straight joint to link to formerly separate block
behind which projects slightly. Ground floor 3 light casement and
horizontal sliding sash, first floor glazing bar sashes in reveals. To
rear: main gabled range has original 4 light window on ground floor, as
at front but 2 lights to left now an entrance. First floor later
projection. Lower gable to right with a 1 storey wing extending to rear
with an original foiled light and 2 small quatrefoil windows, probably
reset, on inner elevation. C18 main range is set back to right. Double
depth plan. 2 storeys and attics. 4 bay front. Entrance to right of
centre: 6 raised panelled door, painted brick surround, rusticated
pilasters with moulded caps, key blocked double round arch over
fanlight, shallow pediment. Glazing bar sashes in reveals, gauged brick
flat arched heads, stone sills. Projecting brick band to stone coped
parapet. 4 two light box dormers in tall hipped double gambrel roof. 4
extruded end stacks with offsets, that to left front probably C17 at
base. Parapets continue to link stacks on returns. To rear: 5 bays,
ground floor French windows, first floor sashes, plat band to parapet,
dormers. Attached to right end is 2 bay 1 storey c.1800 library
addition. Sashes, coped parapet, hipped slate roof. Right end has an
entrance and a stack and, to rear, a late C19 projecting bay with a
tripartite sash. Interior: C15 wing ground floor large room with a
round headed recess, originally a hearth, opposite a fireplace. 2
centred heads and moulded jambs to doors to main block and to other
rooms. First floor large chamber has a depressed barrel vault. Small
chapel with late C17 raised, fielded, bolection moulded panelling,
classical cornice, vaulted ceiling. Early C19 staircase with moulded
handrail and some C18 panelling in C18 block. Attached to rear of C15
wing a red brick wall about 2m high encloses former brewhouse yard with
well. Similar wall extends from left front angle. (RCHM 1910: VCH 1912:
Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL3354536984

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.