History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farm House

A Grade II Listed Building in Barkway, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.001 / 52°0'3"N

Longitude: 0.013 / 0°0'46"E

OS Eastings: 538286

OS Northings: 235534

OS Grid: TL382355

Mapcode National: GBR K8B.J3Z

Mapcode Global: VHHL0.5YRW

Entry Name: Manor Farm House

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Last Amended: 3 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1102626

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162461

Location: Barkway, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG8

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Barkway

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Barkway

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Great Chishall

Listing Text

BARKWAY CHURCH LANE
TL 3835 (South side)
Barkway

9/7 Manor Farm House
9.6.52 (formerly listed as
The Manor House)

GV II


Large house. C16 core, extended and part rebuilt mid and late C17. Late
C19 additions and alterations. Restored c.1900 by W.J. Parker. Some
timber frame to core, rendered. Largely red brick, early English bond
with rendered dressings, later Flemish bond with stone dressings. Tiled
roofs. Complex plan, timber framed core perhaps originally a cross wing
of a hall house. Wing enlarged and hall range rebuilt in C17. C19
additions to form a squarish block. 3 storeys. 3 bay entrance elevation
has to right a gable fronted mid C17 bay which was a forward addition to
original cross wing. Large 5 light mullioned windows with lattice
lights, inner and outer ovolo mouldings, hood moulds, ground floor
taller with 4 centred arched heads, 2nd floor larger and transomed.
Curvilinear shaped gable with an ogee head. Originally external to this
block but now cross axial on ridge of C19 addition to left is a large
rebuilt stack with 4 separate octagonal shafts, moulded bases, conjoined
star capping. Straight joint to C19 bays to left, darker brick with
flared headers. Central entrance, 6 panelled door, leaded fanlight and
cross casement to right all under a hood mould. Ground floor left and
first floor 3 light square headed leaded casements with moulded
surrounds and hood moulds, oversailing brick courses at eaves. Left
gable end large 2 storey c.1900 canted bay window, 2:3:2 leaded lights,
ground floor transom, quoins and coped parapet. 4 light attic window
below a shaped gable copying that of C17. Right return of cross wing has
1 bay of C17 brick with a plinth, ground floor small early C19 canted
bay window, 8:12:8 pane sashes, first floor small blocked opening with
traces of moulding and a later 2 light casement. Further towards rear is
part of earlier cross wing, rendered. A ridge stack replaces an earlier
external stack at junction of 2 builds. Ground floor 8 light mullion and
transom leaded casement, first floor 5 light lattice casement, second
floor 6 light mullion and transom leaded half box dormer. C20 extruded
stack and a 1 storey late C19 red brick kitchen/dairy outshut project
from rear bay, 3 light lattice casements, gable to front, entrance and
hipped roof to rear. Rear gable end of cross wing is faced in C19 red
brick, part colourwashed, 1, 2 and 3 light casements recessed with
cambered heads. To rear set back from cross wing is rebuilt hall range,
rendered with 3 light flush frame leaded casements on first and second
floors, ground floor brick outshut with an entrance, inner entrance has
splayed jambs and is in original through passage position. Large C17
external stack, 4 detached octagonal shafts with moulded bases, rebuilt
capping. Further right is a small addition faced in red brick, 2 storey
lean-to to rear with 3 light casements. Left return elevation behind
canted bay has 3 light leaded casements in stone surrounds, hipped roof,
stack in valley. Interior: C17 panelling in gabled wing, 2 moulded stone
depressed 4 centred arched fireplaces, 1 with corbelling, 1 with carved
spandrels, stop chamfered bearers. (East Herts Archaeological Society
Transactions, vol.2, pt.2, 1903, p.197: RCHM 1910: VCH 1914: Pevsner
1977: RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL3828635534

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.