History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Radwell, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0075 / 52°0'26"N

Longitude: -0.206 / 0°12'21"W

OS Eastings: 523235

OS Northings: 235856

OS Grid: TL232358

Mapcode National: GBR J6Q.2RM

Mapcode Global: VHGNF.CSZY

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1102676

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162273

Location: Radwell, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG7

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Radwell

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Radwell

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stotfold

Listing Text

TL 23 NW RADWELL RADWELL LANE
(North side)

3/140 Church of
27.5.68 All Saints

- II*

Small Medieval Parish Church, thoroughly restored in C19. Mid C14
chancel arch; window openings and walling of nave and chancel probably
similar date of origin. E window and tower arch early C16. Nave restored
1875. Chancel restored, re-roofing and addition of vestry and S porch
1882. Flint and clunch rubble; cement render removed in places. Stone
dressings, tiled roof, some brick and split flint repairs. Unaisled
short nave with only one window in N and S walls; both 2 trefoiled
lights with pierced heads under square labels. Steeply pitched roof with
coped gable parapets. W bay of nave surmounted by bellcote with small
broached copper spire over timber bell-chamber. W window has 2 lights
with tracery under a pointed head. Slightly narrower and lower chancel,
long in proportion. Single light window on S wall. 3 light E window with
trefoiled heads under 4 centred arch. Small diagonal split flint
buttresses. Roof at same pitch as nave with coped gable parapet. Lean-to
vestry in split flint on N wall of chancel. Simple windows to E and W,
entrance to N. Brick base to timber S porch with open traceried panels,
decorative bargeboard. S entrance has a moulded pointed arch with stiff
leaf stops to label. Interior: C19 braced collar beam nave roof. Pointed
arch separates W bay as if a tower had been planned, 2 moulded orders
over semi-octagonal responds with capitals and bases. Late C14
four-centred label with one mask stop over S entrance. Chancel arch
similar to tower arch but more finely moulded. C19 wagon roof to chancel
with brattishing on cornice. 2 bay pointed arcade separates chancel and
vestry. Monument on S wall of chancel to Mary Plomer d.1605; an effigy
tomb with large seated frontal figure holding chrisom child, one foot on
a skull and an hour-glass in hand, a smaller figure of Time to left, the
whole framed by decorated piers. On plinth a panel depicting 10
children, obelisks and achievement above. A notable example of rustic
Elizabethan carving. On same wall monument to Ann Plomer d.1625, an
inscribed slab framed by an arch and pediment with achievement above. On
N wall of chancel monument with small kneeling figures of John Parker
d.1595, his wife and son in a surround similar to Mary Plomer tomb but
more modest. At W end of S chancel wall a small leather plaque inscribed
to William Pym d.1729. On S wall of nave monument to William Plomer
d.1625, single figure kneeling at altar with flanking obelisks and
ornamental crests over an arch. C18 and later memorials line nave walls.
Brasses in chancel floor; to N Elizabeth Parker d.1602, to S William
Wheteaker d.1487, with wife and son. In NE corner of nave John Bele
d.1516, with 2 wives and children. Stone carved Royal Arms above E face
of tower arch dated 1825. Font C14/C15, massive unornamented octagonal
bowl with shields in recesses on shaft. C17 communion rails with square
tapering balusters. Good late C19 glass in E window, given 1885, and
nave windows. (VCH 1923. Pevsner 1977)


Listing NGR: TL2323535856

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.