This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9713 / 51°58'16"N
Longitude: -0.1505 / 0°9'1"W
OS Eastings: 527143
OS Northings: 231933
OS Grid: TL271319
Mapcode National: GBR J75.BS1
Mapcode Global: VHGNN.BQS4
Entry Name: Clothall House
Listing Date: 27 May 1968
Last Amended: 27 June 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102698
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162239
Location: Clothall, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG7
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Clothall
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Clothall
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 23 SE CLOTHALL ASHANCER LANE
6/84 Clothall House
Small country house, formerly the Rectory. Built c.1720 for Rev J.Savage.
Recased in red brick in late C18.Parapet.Hipped plain tile roof. 5 sash
windows on each elevation. 2 storeys and attics. The front (NW) side has
a central open-pedimented doorcase with panelled:door recessed in arch.
Narrow flanking sashes. 3-light venetian sash window to upper floor.
Outer sash windows except for right ground floor are blocked. Chimney
stacks behind parapet to front and rear.The rear elevation has a central
square bay with moulded wood cornice.Probably early C18,this bay is said
to have been used by Rev. Savage for writing sermons. SW elevation has
pedimented Doric doorcase with tall arched stair window above. On left
is a mid C19 single storey service wing with low-pitched slate roof.
Listing NGR: TL2714331933
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings