This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0419 / 52°2'30"N
Longitude: -0.1539 / 0°9'14"W
OS Eastings: 526710
OS Northings: 239779
OS Grid: TL267397
Mapcode National: GBR J66.XKR
Mapcode Global: VHGN8.8YZ1
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 27 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102715
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162177
Location: Ashwell, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG7
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Ashwell
Built-Up Area: Ashwell
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ashwell
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 2639 ASHWELL MILL STREET
8/46 Church of
27.5.68 St. Mary
Parish Church. C14 (completed 1381). C15 N porch and aisle windows.
Large building with exceptionally big W tower. Clunch. Flint rubble.
Some red brick. Low pitched slate roofs behind parapets. 4-stage W tower
has deeply projecting stepped angle buttresses. Leaded spike with
crenellated octagonal base. Lowest stage has 4-light Decorated-style
traceried window; belfry stage has paired pointed arches with traceried
panels. N and S aisles have 3-light traceried windows; hood moulds;
cinquefoiled lights. Chancel with 3-light restored C14 windows. N porch
is single storey. Original door arch and windows. 2-storey S porch has
C19 restored gabled front. Lierne vault with naturalistic foliage
bosses. Internally, the nave is 5 bays. Composite piers illustrating
stylistic progression: E 3 with rounded piers, W 2 with canted piers.
Tall W arch with canted piers; walls either side with 2 tall traceried
panels. C15 aisle roofs, the N one largely restored. Chancel has good
mid-C14 sedilia: 4 cinquefoiled arches with crocketed ogee gables.
Fittings: hexagonal wooden pulpit dated 1627; C15 traceried wooden
screen to Lady Chapel in E bay of S aisle; C19 replica font on early
octagonal base; C15 benches near Chancel. On N wall of W tower are
remarkable C14 graffiti: an inscription recording survival of citizens
of Ashwell during great plague and a drawing of Old St. Paul's
Cathedral, London. (Pevsner (1977)).
Listing NGR: TL2671039779
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings