History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Statue Group in Circular Garden 200 Metres West of Rothamsted Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Harpenden Rural, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8053 / 51°48'19"N

Longitude: -0.3722 / 0°22'19"W

OS Eastings: 512332

OS Northings: 213104

OS Grid: TL123131

Mapcode National: GBR H7H.NR0

Mapcode Global: VHFRV.HWMF

Entry Name: Statue Group in Circular Garden 200 Metres West of Rothamsted Manor House

Listing Date: 27 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1102966

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163621

Location: Harpenden Rural, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL5

County: Hertfordshire

District: St. Albans

Civil Parish: Harpenden Rural

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Harpenden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Harpenden

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/01/2013


TL 11 SW
5/87


HARPENDEN RURAL
HATCHING GREEN
(west side)
Statue group in circular
garden 200 metres W of
Rothamsted Manor House.


GV
II


Garden statue. 1908 by Sir Charles Lawes - Wittewronge, then the
owner of Rothamsted Manor. Monumental group sculpture based on
the Farnese Bull. Hellenistic style. White marble. Entitled
the Death of Dirce it stands about 5 metres high with an oval
plinth. Three figures are in dramatic struggle with a bull,
their names inscribed in Greek on a rocky base strewn with
armour. Dirke is a captive semi-nude figure on the back of the
bull; Zithos attacks the bull with a hooked pike while Amphion
wrestles with it from below with a rope. The plinth is about one
and a half metres high and has a moulded base. It was exhibited
in Rome in 1911. (Pevsner (1977)).


Listing NGR: TL1233213104

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.