History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Albans, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7546 / 51°45'16"N

Longitude: -0.3426 / 0°20'33"W

OS Eastings: 514496

OS Northings: 207509

OS Grid: TL144075

Mapcode National: GBR H83.XX2

Mapcode Global: VHGPQ.05Q8

Entry Name: Christ Church Vicarage

Listing Date: 27 August 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103035

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163478

Location: St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL3

County: Hertfordshire

District: St. Albans

Town: St. Albans

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peters

Built-Up Area: St Albans

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Albans Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Saint Albans

Listing Text

VERULAM ROAD
1. (North-East Side)
1582
Christ Church Vicarage
TL 1407 NE 4/150

II


2.
Mid C19. Probably also by Charles Parker and in similar style to church.
2 storeys; wide, 3-bay front. High pitched, slated roof hipped at right,
with a 2nd and hip to right, rear extension. Ashlar, with modillioned
cornice, and a scalloped, stone bargeboard in front. 1st floor windows,
at right and left are 2 and 3-light sashes with pilaster mullions.
Centre 1st floor window round-arched with nook shafts. String at 1st floor
cills. Ground floor windows round arched with nook shafts, single at
left and paired at right, with moulded architraves. Band with dog-tooth
moulding at spring, High plinth to ground floor cills.
Round-arched entrance in 3 places, with moulded architrave, chevron
moulding to 2nd plane, and, 2 nook-shafts either side, the inner with
incised spiral pattern. Foliated capitals to all shafts. Deeply
recessed door of 10 fielded panels under round arch with nook shafts and
carved stone cornice head. One-storey one-window extension at left;
one-storey, blank-arched link to church at right.


Listing NGR: TL1449607509

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.