History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Unitarian Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Albans, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7525 / 51°45'8"N

Longitude: -0.342 / 0°20'31"W

OS Eastings: 514548

OS Northings: 207276

OS Grid: TL145072

Mapcode National: GBR H89.4CF

Mapcode Global: VHGPQ.162W

Entry Name: Former Unitarian Chapel

Listing Date: 20 November 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103040

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163491

Location: St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL3

County: Hertfordshire

District: St. Albans

Town: St. Albans

Electoral Ward/Division: Verulam

Built-Up Area: St Albans

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Abbey Parish of St Albans

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Saint Albans

Listing Text

In the entry for:-
LOWER DAGNALL STREET
TL 1407 SE (South Side)
Former Unitarian Chapel,
9/56 also know as old
Presbyterian Chapel.

GV II

The description shall be amended to read:-

1697. Brick, cement rendered and colour-washed. hipped tiled
roof. 2 storeys, 3 casement windows with glazing bars. Eaves
cornice. Surround to doorway on left. An important early Non-
conformist chapel, associated with prominent Presbyterians and
Unitarians during the 18th century. The chapel was formerly the
premises of Samuel Ryder (from the mid 1890's to 1903), whose
penny-packet seed business operated from here until it moved to
Holywell Hill, where in 1911 he built new offices (No 27 qv).
Graded for group value.
The former Chapel forms part of a group with Nos 3-11 (odd) and
nos 13 and 15.

------------------------------------
1. LOWER DAGNALL STREET
1582 (South Side)

Former Unitarian Chapel,
also known as Old
Presbyterian Chapel


TL 1407 SE 9/56

II


2.
1697. Brick, cement rendered and colour-washed. Hipped tiled roof.
2 storeys. 3 casement windows with glazing bars. Eaves cornice.
Surround to doorway on left. An important early Nonconformist chapel,
associated with prominent Presbyterians and Unitarians during the
16th century.
Graded for group value.

The former Chapel forms part of a group with Nos 3-11 (odd) and
Nos 13 and 15.


Listing NGR: TL1454807276

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.