History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rectory Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Lilley, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9302 / 51°55'48"N

Longitude: -0.3776 / 0°22'39"W

OS Eastings: 511648

OS Northings: 226980

OS Grid: TL116269

Mapcode National: GBR H5Y.TM1

Mapcode Global: VHFR8.DRR6

Entry Name: Rectory Cottage

Listing Date: 24 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103195

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163078

Location: Lilley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, LU2

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Lilley

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Lilley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hexton

Listing Text

LILLEY HEXTON ROAD
TL 1126 (East side)

11/68 Rectory Cottage
-
- II

House. Late medieval S wing, hall range rebuilt early C17, ground floor
walls rebuilt in brick ('1760' on centre) and N end chimney mid C18,
renovated in C19. Timber frame on brick sill, exposed on N and with red
brick infill, front roughcast but red brick ground floor and S end, dark
weatherboarded gable-triangle to S end. Steep old red tile roofs. A
long, 2-storeys, L-shaped building set back from road, facing W, with
4-cells, internal chimney, lobby-entry plan. Brick cased S crosswing has
2 rooms on each floor. W front has 6 windows to ground floor and 4 to
1st floor. Entrance by central brick porch with gable parapet 4-centred
arch and 2 steps to battened door. 2- and 3-lights casement windows. The
1st floor windows are each set in small corbelled gables. Large central
chimney. Frame at N end has jowled posts, mid-height rail, tie-beam and
collar supporting clasped-purlin roof. Interior has smoke blackened
rafters re-used in hall roof, clasped-purlin roofs throughout, but with
board-like wind-braces to S wing. Step down into wing. Separate framed
structure to rebuilt hall range with 2 heated rooms on ground floor
(hall and parlour) with unheated N end room, and lobby entrance by stack
as now, and stair on opposite end of stack. Axial beams carry the
floors. C18 chimney added as projection to heat N room. 2-bays crosswing
probably originally jettied. W room of higher status with S wall
fireplace. Stair probably on original site in SE corner. Framing of hall
range on 1st floor shows arched braces in rear wall but tension bracing
in front wall in bay N of stack. (RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL1164826980

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.