This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9233 / 51°55'23"N
Longitude: -0.3732 / 0°22'23"W
OS Eastings: 511968
OS Northings: 226220
OS Grid: TL119262
Mapcode National: GBR H64.8HB
Mapcode Global: VHFR8.HX2H
Entry Name: 55, West Street
Listing Date: 24 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103201
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163085
Location: Lilley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, LU2
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Lilley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Lilley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
LILLEY WEST STREET
TL 1126 (East side)
11/75 No. 55
House. Late C15/early C16 hall range, late C16/early C17 N wing when
stack and floor inserted in hall, C18 single-storey S kitchen extension,
a post office in C19. Timber frame on brick sill exposed only on N end,
roughcast with steep old red tile roofs. A long 2-storeys and cellar
house facing W set back from road with higher 2-storeys N crosswing
jettied along its N side. Formerly an open hall with a storied S service
end extending over the cross-passage (E doorway in use) and parlour bay
at N. Converted to lobby entrance when parlour bay filled by massive
internal chimney and N parlour wing added. Large chimney added against
jettied N side of wing to serve narrow rear room c.1700, then or later a
smithy. W front has gabled wing at N, 3 windows to each floor. Flush
3-lights casement windows small to 1st floor under the eaves, larger to
ground floor. Battened door opposite chimney, 3-light casement to each
floor of crosswing. Very large S gable chimney to kitchen extension and
longer single storey extension set back. Purlin roof and heavy
wallplates to kitchen. Jettied N side of crosswing close-studded on
ground floor with 3-lights ovolo-moulded window. Bull-nosed joists and
similar blocked window to 1st floor with more widely spaced studs.
Curved braces mark the 2 bays of crosswing. Large N side chimney in
English-bond red brick with crow-steps surviving on E side.
Squint-butted scarf in bressumer. Clasped purlin roof with wind-braces
to hall range. Intermediate truss 1M from S end of original building.
Listing NGR: TL1196826220
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings