History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Bull Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Offley, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.93 / 51°55'47"N

Longitude: -0.3397 / 0°20'22"W

OS Eastings: 514254

OS Northings: 227017

OS Grid: TL142270

Mapcode National: GBR H5Z.YS9

Mapcode Global: VHGNR.2R8C

Entry Name: The Bull Public House

Listing Date: 24 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103206

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163102

Location: Offley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Offley

Built-Up Area: Great Offley

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Offley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Great Offley

Listing Text

OFFLEY HIGH STREET
TL 1427 (West side)
Great Offley

12/92 No. 28
- (The Bull Public House)

- II

House, now a public house. Circa 1700, N-W wing and stable early C19.
Red brick in Flemish-bond with random blue bricks, front roughcast,
S end painted. Stable and NW wing dark weatherboarded. Steep old red
tile roofs. A 2-cells, 2 storeys and attics, end chimneys and central
entrance plan house, set back from road and facing E. Front has gable
parapets with raking brick courses under fancy C19 ridge tiles, a
flat-topped dormer on roofslope, 3 2-lights casement windows to 1st
floor, 2 3-light transomed casement windows to ground floor and
plat-band stepping up over central door. Small gabled roughcast and
tiled porch. Internal gable chimney each end, larger at S, with shallow
vertical recess between square shafts. Single-storey gabled extension to
N end set back and slated lean-to to rear. 2-storeys 2 windows wide NW
rear wing with internal chimneys at each gable and lower small stable at
W end. Interior has 2 rooms to main range with entrance into S end of N
room. Axial chamfered beams with ogee stops, stair rising in S room and
surviving original fireplace there with canted rear corners.


Listing NGR: TL1425427017

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.