History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Clock House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ickleford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9695 / 51°58'10"N

Longitude: -0.2806 / 0°16'50"W

OS Eastings: 518211

OS Northings: 231509

OS Grid: TL182315

Mapcode National: GBR H5P.FVW

Mapcode Global: VHGNL.3R0K

Entry Name: The Clock House

Listing Date: 24 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103231

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163063

Location: Ickleford, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Ickleford

Built-Up Area: Ickleford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Ickleford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hitchin

Listing Text

ICKLEFORD TURNPIKE LANE
TL 1831 (South side)

10/53 The Clock House
-
GV II

Stable block to former Ickleford Manor and low stable range to E on
roadside linking to 2-storeys gatehouse, now a house. C17 gatehouse and
stable, C18 or early C19 stable block with clock dated '1819'. Timber
frame gatehouse and stable roughcast, stuccoed brick stable block, steep
old red tile roofs, that of stable block hipped with cupola, and hipped
gatehouse roof. A group of 3 elements along roadside facing into
courtyard. The largest, a 1/1/2-storeys former stable block, rectangular
with N gable to road and main front on E. 3 flush sash windows with 8/8
panes and 2 box dormers at eaves with 4/8 panes. Square central clock
stage carries a clock face and square cupola above with 4 columns and a
vane. Lower extensions on W side. Single-storey former stable to E
extends to 2-storeys, 2-bays gatehouse with dovecote on upper floor on
side to courtyard. Jowled posts and frame exposed in carriageway. Part
of a picturesque courtyard group.


Listing NGR: TL1821131509

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.