History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wyatt Temple at West End of First Cross-Axis in Gardens at the Bury at Grid Reference Tl 1870 2192

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Paul's Walden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8832 / 51°52'59"N

Longitude: -0.2768 / 0°16'36"W

OS Eastings: 518700

OS Northings: 221920

OS Grid: TL187219

Mapcode National: GBR H6N.W9P

Mapcode Global: VHGNZ.5X0P

Entry Name: Wyatt Temple at West End of First Cross-Axis in Gardens at the Bury at Grid Reference Tl 1870 2192

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Last Amended: 8 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103244

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162993

Location: St. Paul's Walden, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: St Paul's Walden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Paul's Walden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Kimpton

Listing Text

TL 1821 ST PAUL'S WALDEN ST PAUL'S WALDEN BURY

12/200
Wyatt Temple at west end of 1st cross-
axis in gardens at The Bury at Grid Ref
27.5.68 TL 1870 2192 (formerly listed as The
Gardens at St Paul's Walden Bury)
GV
II

Garden temple. 1775 by James Wyatt for John Conyers, originally erected
at Copped Hall, Essex, moved here c.1950. Moulded stone plinth and
steps, wooden order, stuccoed brick rear part, domed moulded plaster
ceiling, lead ribbed dome with finial. An Ionic temple with seat in
circular interior facing E, approached by 3 steps. Rear part a hemicycle
recess in a stuccoed solid rear part. Semi-circular front has fluted
timber columns with enriched base mouldings, angular volutes, and
entablature with dentilled cornice and swelled frieze, breaking outward
at sides over columns. Plaster sauce-dome with radial moulded ribs,
scallops in a wavy outer band, and elaborate acanthus roundel with
central pendant. Radial paving pattern of black and white stone with
large St. John's cross in centre.


Listing NGR: TL1870021920

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.