History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Villagers Pump at Junction of Village Street with Barton Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Hexton, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9606 / 51°57'37"N

Longitude: -0.3913 / 0°23'28"W

OS Eastings: 510630

OS Northings: 230340

OS Grid: TL106303

Mapcode National: GBR H5Q.3VL

Mapcode Global: VHFR2.5ZHF

Entry Name: Villagers Pump at Junction of Village Street with Barton Road

Listing Date: 24 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103255

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163021

Location: Hexton, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hexton

Built-Up Area: Hexton

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hexton

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hexton

Listing Text

HEXTON HEXTON
TL 1030
8/11 Villagers Pump at
- junction of village
street with Barton Road

GV II

Village pump with integral signpost (disused) and added lamp and
direction indicating arms. On plate affixed above spout 'ERECTED/APRIL
1846/BY CAROLINE YOUNG/DE LAUTOUR/FOR THE USE OF/HEXTON/VILLAGERS'. On
plate below the spout 'FREEMAN ROE/ENGINEERS/70 STRAND/LONDON'.
Hexagonal platform with post at each corner probably c.1908, re-opened
for use 1934, now disused. Pump and corner posts cast iron, painted
white. Handle wrought iron. Blue brick bull-nosed edging to platform and
steps on N. A tall octagonal Gothick iron pump with octagonal
base-plate, high moulded base, moulded octagonal shaft, tapered
octagonal finial supporting a small 4-armed cross-shaped signpost with a
C20 street lantern fixed centrally on top. About 3M overall height.
Direction arms fixed by straps at finial level. Panelled sides to pump
with trefoil heads. On E face a large single spout with 2 rings and a
bucket spur. Long S-shaped iron handle on N face with openwork thistle
finial. (Branch Johnson (1970)168).


Listing NGR: TL1063030340

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.