History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Posting Box Built into Front Wall of Number 1 Ivy Cottages (Post Office)

A Grade II Listed Building in Hexton, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9631 / 51°57'47"N

Longitude: -0.3912 / 0°23'28"W

OS Eastings: 510631

OS Northings: 230629

OS Grid: TL106306

Mapcode National: GBR H5J.XKD

Mapcode Global: VHFR2.5XJF

Entry Name: Posting Box Built into Front Wall of Number 1 Ivy Cottages (Post Office)

Listing Date: 24 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103256

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163024

Location: Hexton, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hexton

Built-Up Area: Hexton

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hexton

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hexton

Listing Text

HEXTON HEXTON
TL 1030 (West side)

8/14 Posting box built into
- front wall of No. 1
Ivy Cottages (Post Office)

- II

Posting box. Set up 1860, the earliest in Hertfordshire, moved to
present position 1922 from wall of the Manor Lodge. Cast iron painted
red. The front is a narrow rectangular upright panel 30 inches x 10
inches. Flat pedimented top: hood below with 'POST OFFICE' in raised
letters: small postal aperture below hood with metal flap and on lower
rim 'LETTER BOX'. Door below divided into 3 horizontal panels: top one
carries the royal Cypher 'V R' with crown and the words 'CLEARED AT': the
middle panel is blank for impermanent pasted or painted notices of the
time(s) of clearing: the bottom panel contains the keyhole and lock.
There is a large plain panel to the box below the door, and on the
bottom rim the makers' name, 'SMITH AND HAWKES BIRMINGHAM'. Wall boxes
were introduced in 1857. (Branch Johnson (1970)135,168: Ashley Cooper
(1982)32).


Listing NGR: TL1063130629

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.