History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Tun House

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Paul's Walden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.875 / 51°52'30"N

Longitude: -0.2766 / 0°16'35"W

OS Eastings: 518737

OS Northings: 221010

OS Grid: TL187210

Mapcode National: GBR H6V.GWJ

Mapcode Global: VHGP5.544F

Entry Name: The Tun House

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103258

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162928

Location: St. Paul's Walden, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: St Paul's Walden

Built-Up Area: Whitwell (North Hertfordshire)

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Paul's Walden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Kimpton

Listing Text

TL 1821 ST PAUL'S WALDEN HIGH STREET
(North side)

Whitwell
12/136 No.16a (The Tun House)
27.5.68

GV II

House. Circa 1700 for Wellingham family of tanners, NE infill wing dated
1748, bay window on W and other alteration c.1898 when large extension
built to N (now No. 16). Red and blue brick, steep old red tile roof and
wooden eaves cornice. A 2-storeys and attics, L-shaped house facing E,
later altered to a compact square block with U-shaped hipped roof open
to N. The entrance appears to have been in the middle of the S front
originally where there is now a window. E end has moulded gable parapet
and external gable chimney. Original cross-window remains in middle of W
front over door with iron casement and rectangular leaded glazing with
name 'Ann Wellingham' cut in one quarry. Lower sills to replacement
flush box sash windows with 6/6 panes. W side has 2 segmental headed
dormers, wood modillion eaves cornice, 3 windows to 1st floor,
plat-band, central 6-panel oak door, canted bay on left and one window
to right. S front similar with 3 dormers and 3 windows to each floor.
Interior has lobby entry on E beside a large internal stack, chamfered
axial beams with ogee stops, 2 salt cupboards, bolection moulded door,
broad staircase with closed string with turned balusters and square
newels, 2-panels bolection moulded door into IL-hinges, alcove in SE
room with fluted pilasters, arched head and shaped shelves. Butt-purlin
roof structure with principals curving down at foot to frame into floor
structure. 1898 separate N part not of special interest. (Morris
(1980)30).


Listing NGR: TL1873721010

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.