History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Brewery the Brew House

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Paul's Walden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8753 / 51°52'31"N

Longitude: -0.2777 / 0°16'39"W

OS Eastings: 518660

OS Northings: 221043

OS Grid: TL186210

Mapcode National: GBR H6V.8MQ

Mapcode Global: VHGP5.44K6

Entry Name: Old Brewery the Brew House

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103262

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162932

Location: St. Paul's Walden, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: St Paul's Walden

Built-Up Area: Whitwell (North Hertfordshire)

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Paul's Walden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Kimpton

Listing Text

TL 1821 ST PAUL'S WALDEN HIGH STREET
(North side)
Whitwell

12/140 Nos. 22 (Old Brewery),
27.5.68 and 24 (The Brew House)

GV II

House, now 2 houses. Early C17, renovated early C18 ('1702' carved on
beam), top storey and brick front c.1800 when extended to E and divided.
Timber frame roughcast, with sandy red brick front, low red brick
extension to E and white weatherboarded C20 rear extension. Slate roofs,
hipped on house. A 3-cells, lobby-entry, E crosswing plan house facing
S, with extra lobby taken out of E side of middle room when E wing
extended and divided off as a separate house. Formal brick S front with
3-storeys and moulded cornice below parapet. 3 windows wide. Recessed
sash windows with rubbed flat arches and 4/4 panes to 2nd floor, 8/8
panes to 1st floor, and triple sashes at each end of front, 8/8 sash in
middle, and 2 re-used early C18 (? 1702) pedimented doorcases to the
6-panel flush-bead doors. Eared architraves and swelled frieze. Large
internal chimney a third from W end has 4 diagonally set square shafts
concealed by heightening of house. Chamfered axial beam with bar-stop. E
extension was used as a straw plait school in the C19. (RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL1866021043

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.