History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Airmyn First School

A Grade II Listed Building in Airmyn, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7214 / 53°43'16"N

Longitude: -0.9027 / 0°54'9"W

OS Eastings: 472504

OS Northings: 425555

OS Grid: SE725255

Mapcode National: GBR QT4D.CQ

Mapcode Global: WHFDC.3QDH

Entry Name: Airmyn First School

Listing Date: 16 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103306

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164861

Location: Airmyn, East Riding of Yorkshire, DN14

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Airmyn

Built-Up Area: Airmyn

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Airmyn St David

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Goole

Listing Text

AIRMYN HIGH STREET
SE 72 NW
(north-west side)
1/5 Airmyn First School
GV II
Sunday school, now school. 1834 for George Percy, Earl of Beverley, with
additions and alterations of 1891 and C20 additions to rear. Brick with
sandstone ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. 1-shaped on plan: original
schoolroom with C19 entrance and wing to right, and schoolroom extension to
rear. Single storey, 3 sections. Schoolroom, gable-end to street, has
triple pointed windows with ashlar heads and sills, and wooden Y-tracery,
beneath ashlar tablet inscribed:
SUNDAY SCHOOL
Erected
By the Right Honourable the
EARL OF BEVERLEY
1834
coped gable with shaped kneelers. Low single-storey projecting wing to
right has pointed window with ashlar head, sill and wooden Y-tracery, small
chamfered rectangular window above, coped gable with shaped kneelers;
similar pointed window to left return, circular window with glazing bars to
right return, and bell turret to rear, adjoining schoolroom, with ashlar
offsets, string course, and pointed chamfered opening beneath coped gable.
Adjoining tripartite entrance section has central pointed doorway with 2-
fold board doors with ornate wrought ironwork, beneath coped ashlar gable
containing semicircular recessed panel inscribed "1891", flanked by small
projecting wings with single pointed Y-traceried windows (that to right with
lower mullion removed) and coped parapets. Left return of schoolroom has
three 16-pane flush sashes to original section and one 6-pane casement to
extension beneath segmental arches; dentilled brick eaves cornice. Built as
a Sunday school for 120 pupils, by 1840 it had become a day-school. D
Galloway, Airmyn in Days Gone By, Vol 1, 1984, pp 13-15; ibid, Vol 2, 1985,
pp 16-17.


Listing NGR: SE7250425555

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.