History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in South Cave, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7674 / 53°46'2"N

Longitude: -0.6116 / 0°36'41"W

OS Eastings: 491614

OS Northings: 431008

OS Grid: SE916310

Mapcode National: GBR SS5W.D7

Mapcode Global: WHGFF.KKZQ

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 7 February 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103317

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164791

Location: South Cave, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU15

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: South Cave

Built-Up Area: South Cave

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: South Cave All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
South Cave

Listing Text

SOUTH CAVE CHURCH HILL
SE 93 SW
(east side)
2/35 Church of All Saints
7.2.68
- II*
Church. Mid C13 chancel arch and transept arch, C15 west tower, heightened
in C17, chancel 1847 by J L Pearson, south transept rebuilt 1848, north
aisle 1859. Small coursed oolitic limestone rubble with freestone
dressings, slate roofs. 3-stage west tower, 3-bay nave with north aisle and
south porch, single-bay south transept, 3-bay chancel with north vestry.
West tower: diagonal buttresses with offsets, low plinth; 2-light square-
headed belfry openings with pointed inner lights. Crenellated parapet. 3-
light pointed west window with C19 Perpendicular tracery under a hoodmould.
Nave: shallow early C19 plinth, two 3-light windows containing Perpendicular
tracery under hoodmoulds with face-stops. Transept: chamfered plinth,
diagonal buttresses with offsets. 4-light pointed south window with
intersecting tracery under a hoodmould with face-stops. 2-light pointed
west window with curvilinear tracery under a hoodmould with foliage stops.
Paired C19 cusped lancets under single hoodmould to east wall. Casement-
moulded cornice with ballflower; low coped parapet and coped gable.
Chancel: high chamfered plinth, buttresses with offsets. Central pointed
priest's door in style of late C13; rosettes to imposts. Hoodmould. Sill
band to three 2-light pointed windows with Decorated tracery under
hoodmoulds with face-stops. Ball-flower and diapers to cornice, raised
coped gable with cross finial. 4-light pointed east window with curvilinear
tracery under a hoodmould with monarch stops. North vestry fenestration is
continuous with that of the north nave aisle: 2-light square-headed windows
with cusped tracery under a hoodmould with face-stops. Four 2-light square-
headed windows to clerestory. Interior: C19 pointed double-chamfered tower
arch dying into responds. North nave arcade of 3 pointed double-chamfered
arches on octagonal abaci and piers. Early C13 pointed double-chamfered
chancel arch on chamfered imposts and attached shafts and nook-shafts.
Similar, smaller arch to south transept; stiff-leaf to imposts. Blocked 2-
bay arcade to former north chancel chapel: 2 pointed double-chamfered arches
on octagonal pier and matching responds. C15 font with angel busts at each
corner and blank panels between. Memorials and tablets: wall tablet on
south transept south wall recording its rebuilding in 1633 by an Alderman of
the City of London, Henry Garwaie: an heraldic shield, bearing an
inscription, framed by egg and dart, with strapwork motif over. At the west
end of the north aisle is a small coffin lid bearing a foliate cross with,
to the left a shield and to the right the incised bust of a man: unknown
objects occupy the rest of the field. Adjoining it is an old rectangular
font with chamfered sides on pyramid stops: probably C13. In the tower
chamber is an oval benefactions board of 1809 bearing a long inscription and
painted with sheaves of corn and horns of plenty. It is topped by the
figure of a woman with a baby and 2 young children over the word 'Charity'.


Listing NGR: SE9161431008

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.