This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7822 / 53°46'56"N
Longitude: -0.4116 / 0°24'41"W
OS Eastings: 504758
OS Northings: 432937
OS Grid: TA047329
Mapcode National: GBR G47.JL
Mapcode Global: WHGFJ.N669
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 31 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103394
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164657
Location: Cottingham, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU16
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Cottingham
Built-Up Area: Cottingham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Cottingham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
TA 03 SW
(south side, off)
7/16 Church of Saint Mary
Church. Early C14 nave aisles and transepts, late C14 chancel and south
porch, C15 central tower. Ashlar, lead roofs. Cruciform plan: 5-bay aisled
nave with south porch, single-bay transepts, central tower, 4-bay chancel
with north vestry. Nave: high moulded plinth, buttresses with offsets.
Moulded sill band. Four 3-light pointed windows with curvilinear tracery
under hoodmoulds with face stops. Small, similar, window over pointed south
door with continuous moulding. West elevation of nave has central pointed
door with continuous filleted roll mouldings under continuous hoodmould. To
left and right are 3-light pointed windows with curvilinear tracery under
hoodmoulds with face stops. Pointed west window of 4 lights with
curvilinear tracery of good style under hoodmould with face stops.
Buttresses with gablets and crocketed finials. North side of nave has
similar fenestration to the south side. Pointed north door of 2 orders: the
outer a roll, the inner a hollow chamfer. Moulded imposts on similarly
moulded jambs. Crenellated parapets, raised coped gable with cross finial.
South porch: raised moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets.
Pointed door with continuous shallow mouldings under hoodmould. Low, coped,
gabled parapet incorporating a niche over the door. Cross finial. South
transept: raised moulded plinth with angle buttresses with offsets and
gablets. Pointed east window of 3 lights with curvilinear tracery under a
hoodmould. Large pointed 5-light south window with Perpendicular tracery
under a hoodmould. Moulded eaves cornice, raised coped gable, cross finial.
North transept: pointed north window of 5 lights with Perpendicular tracery;
blocked early C14 pointed window to east wall. Chancel: high moulded
plinth, buttresses with offsets and crocketed pinnacles. Four 3-light
windows with Perpendicular tracery, incorporating brattished transoms to the
head of the centre lights, all under hoodmoulds with face stops.
Crenellated parapet. Similar, simpler, fenestration to north elevation;
pointed priest's door, reused from early C14 context, under a hoodmould with
grotesque stops. Central tower of 2 stages with angle buttresses and a mid-
wall buttress to each face which rises from the sills of the belfry
openings. Polygonal stair turret - which is virtually free-standing - to
the north-east corner. Belfry openings: paired, pointed, 3-light openings
with Perpendicular tracery and brattished transoms. Crenellated parapet:
pinnacles with blank traceried panels and pyramid and ball caps. Flagpole.
Interior: north and south nave arcades of 5 bays: quatrefoil filleted piers
carrying moulded capitals and moulded, pointed arches, the outer order
filleted. Hoodmoulds with face stops to north and south sides of each
arcade. East bay of each arcade has been strengthened to carry the crossing
tower: enlarged piers carry lower pointed arches with plain soffits and
filleted rolls to the edges only. The C14 hoodmoulds are visible above.
The west crossing arch and the north and south transept arches have been
similarly treated. South transept: piscina with triangular head in south
wall. 4-centred chancel arch on attached shafts to responds. Chancel: fine
brass to Nicholas de Luda (died 1384), a Capuchin friar, who built the
chancel: a full-length figure in prayer under a crocketed ogee canopy with
frieze above. Small brass of inferior quality in south wall to John Smith
and his wife who died 1504. The church contains a large number of C18 wall
tablets and memorials chief among which are 2 to Ralph Burton, died 1768 (a
lengthy inscription beneath an achievement of arms against a dark obelisk),
and William Burton of Hotham died 1764, (an inscription on a plinth to an
urn with wreaths and drops of roses beneath a small coat of arms on a dark
obelisk) both at the west end of the church. Stained glass: a large amount
by Capronnier, and remarkable for the range of colour: the east window of
1875, the west window of 1882, the south transept south window of 1885, the
south-east window 1890, the south transept south window of 1885, the south-
east window 1890: also by Capronnier are a south chancel window and another
in the north aisle. Other windows by Kempe and Tower.
Listing NGR: TA0475832934
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings