History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bishop Burton, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8444 / 53°50'39"N

Longitude: -0.496 / 0°29'45"W

OS Eastings: 499050

OS Northings: 439731

OS Grid: SE990397

Mapcode National: GBR SRZZ.DM

Mapcode Global: WHGF3.CM1P

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 7 February 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103429

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164537

Location: Bishop Burton, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Bishop Burton

Built-Up Area: Bishop Burton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Bishop Burton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Leconfield

Listing Text

BISHOP BURTON CHURCH LANE
SE 93 NE
8/1 Church of All Saints
7.2.68
II*
Church. Early C13 west tower, early C13 nave and C14 aisles rebuilt c1821,
chancel and south vestry in geometrical style by J L Pearson 1865. Ashlar,
slate roofs. 3-stage west tower, 4-bay aisled nave, 3-bay chancel with
south vestry. West tower: chamfered plinth. South door of 2 pointed and
chamfered orders, the inner on carved corbels under hoodmould. Chamfered
imposts. Chamfered string between stages. Paired lancets under round arch
to belfry. Low parapet with moulded coping. West wall: projecting carved
head to bottom stage, lancet to second stage, similar belfry openings.
North side is identical to the south side with the addition of a clock face
to the second stage. Nave: moulded plinth, buttresses with offsets. Three
2-light pointed windows with Decorated tracery under hoodmoulds with face
stops. Pointed south door of 2 orders with nook-shafts under hoodmould.
Four 2-light square-headed windows with cusped ogee tracery, all under
hoodmoulds with face stops, to clerestory. Low parapet. Similar
fenestration to nave north side. Chancel: chamfered plinth, buttress with
offset and gablet with blank tracery. 2 easternmost pointed windows of 2
lights with geometrical tracery: the west bay is taken up by the projecting
vestry. Vestry south window: pointed, of 3 lights, with geometrical tracery
including a transom. Pointed priests' door to east vestry wall with carved
nook-shafts all under a continuous string which forms a sill band to the
chancel windows. Pointed east window of 4 lights with geometrical tracery
under hoodmould. North side: 3 pointed windows of 2 lights with geometrical
tracery. Stone copings with ridge cross. Interior: nave west door of 2
pointed orders, the outer square, the inner with a continuous narrow
chamfer, on chamfered imposts. Triangular hoodmould. North and south nave
arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Pointed
chancel arch of 2 moulded orders on nook-shafts with carved capitals and
moulded bases. Rear arches of chancel windows rest on similar, smaller
shafts. To south-east corner of the chancel is a C14 piscina: scalloped
bowl with foliage and grinning face to sides under a cusped ogee arch with
foliage sprigs to cusps. South west end of,nave: a small C12 carved figure,
with long, hanging sleeves, inserted into south wall. C18 font: a small
moulded basin on a polygonal baluster. Fragments of 2 earlier font basins,
one octagonal, lie close by. Monuments: nave west end: black marble tablet
with white lettering; a long inscription in Latin to Sir Tobias Hodson, died
1664. Alabaster chest tomb to Rachel Gee, died 1684: a recumbent figure in
a winding sheet with a child close by on a slab: quatrefoils and an
inscription to the base. Chancel: three brasses. To the north, a chalice
brass to Peter Johnson, vicar, died 1460; a lady, died C15. South side: a
brass to the Ellerker family: date erased, probably early C16. 2 figures
with inscription over.


Listing NGR: SE9905039731

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.