History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Healing, North East Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5735 / 53°34'24"N

Longitude: -0.1682 / 0°10'5"W

OS Eastings: 521391

OS Northings: 410100

OS Grid: TA213101

Mapcode National: GBR WW83.CR

Mapcode Global: WHHHR.DF4V

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 4 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103466

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164425

Location: Healing, North East Lincolnshire, DN41

County: North East Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Healing

Built-Up Area: Healing

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Healing St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Healing

Listing Text

TA 21 SW
5/4

HEALING,
STALLINGBOROUGH ROAD (south side, off),
Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul

4.1.67

GV II

Parish church. Early C13 tower arch, C16-C17 tower, late medieval chancel
on earlier foundations; C18 nave: north aisle removed probably in early C18,
south aisle removed 1774. Restorations to chancel and tower of 1848-50
included new west door, replacement of tracery in west window. Restorations
of 1874-6 by J Fowler of Louth included rebuilding nave north and east
walls, inserting new chancel east window, reflooring, reseating, reroofing.
Interior renovations to chancel in 1947. Large unsympathetic church hall of
1976 adjoining south side, incorporating 1925 vestry on south side of tower,
is of no special interest. Limestone ashlar tower; limestone and ironstone
ashlar to nave and chancel. Welsh slate roofs. West tower with west door,
2-bay nave, single-bay chancel. 3-stage tower: moulded plinth, angle
buttresses with offsets, stages divided by moulded string courses. C19
pointed west door of 5 roll-moulded and filleted orders beneath crocketed
ogee hood flanked by pinnacled buttress shafts. Door with Perpendicular-
style blind-traceried panels. Pointed 3-light west window to first stage
with restored tracery and original hoodmould. Second stage: square openings
with pierced quatrefoils and incised spandrels in hollow-chamfered reveals.
Line of former nave gable to east side. Pointed 2-light traceried belfry
openings with hoodmoulds. Angle gargoyles, restored moulded string course,
coped embattled parapet and crocketed angle pinnacles. Nave: chamfered
plinth, buttresses to centre and east end, pointed 2-light traceried
windows, one to south converted to door in 1976. Chancel: ashlar wall
tablet in north wall to Elizabeth Lamb of 1685, with recessed inscribed
panel flanked by scrolls; C19 pointed 3-light east window with geometric
tracery and hoodmould; medieval carved tread to gale. Interior. Pointed
double-chamfered tower arch on triple-shafted responds with keeled central
shafts flanked by smaller plain shafts, plain moulded bases and capitals and
octagonal abaci. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with continuous
outer chamfer and inner order on plain moulded corbels. Black marble
floorslab in tower to Sir Francis Coventry of 1687 with Latin marginal
inscription. Wall tablets in chancel: to Rev John Parkinson of 1793; to Rev
John Parkinson of 1837 with Latin inscription; to Robert Parkinson of 1822
with carved brackets, cornice and pediment; to Elizabeth Iles of 1834 with
carved brackets, moulded cornice and draped urn. C19 fittings and font.
Archaeological excavations in advance of building on the south side of the
church in 1975 revealed foundations of a C13 south aisle which partly
embraced the chancel, and evidence of a pre-Conquest church. Similarities
with the towers at Aylesby and Immingham (qv) suggest a date between 1550-
1650.
N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978,
p 272;
H Bishop, "Excavations at the Church of SS Peter and Paul, Healing,
South Humberside", Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Vol 13, 1978, pp
25-32.


Listing NGR: TA2139110100

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.