This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6898 / 51°41'23"N
Longitude: -0.2456 / 0°14'44"W
OS Eastings: 521366
OS Northings: 200462
OS Grid: TL213004
Mapcode National: GBR 97.2RV
Mapcode Global: VHGPY.PSJG
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 25 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103539
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164299
Location: Ridge, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, EN6
Civil Parish: Ridge
Built-Up Area: South Mimms
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ridge
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 20 SW RIDGE CROSS OAKS LANE
4/245 Church of
25.2.52 St. Margaret
Parish church. Early C15, chancel walls possibly C14. Repaired 1740-6.
Restored with addition of S porch and organ bay 1881 by A.Billings.
Knapped flint with clunch dressings, some pudding-stone in tower. Tiled
roofs. 4 bay nave, slightly lower and narrower chancel. Small W tower.
Continuous plinth. C19 E window: pointed head, 3 lights with geometrical
tracery. Chancel S wall: 2 trefoil headed lancets flank doorway with
pointed head. N wall, one similar lancet and lean-to organ bay. Nave N
wall: 2 square headed windows, each has 2 multifoil headed lights with 4
panels above, that to E probably C15, to W a C19 copy. Similar C15
window to E in nave S wall and a similar C19 single light to W of S
porch. Straight buttresses to nave. Gabled S porch of timber on flint
and stone base. Arched entrance with quatrefoils in spandrels.
Brattishing below timber and flint gable, decorative bargeboards. 3
traceried panels to each side. Round headed arch to S entrance, hollow
chamfered moulded surround. Plank door with strap hinges. Diagonal
buttresses at W end of nave join taller straight buttresses to 3 stage
tower. W doorway with pointed head and hollow chamfered jambs below 3
light C19 W window, pointed head and geometrical tracery. Diagonal
buttresses to W. One square opening to S in 2nd stage of tower. String
courses above and below belfry stage with an additional stone course
below the belfry openings. 4 chamfered mullioned openings to belfry.
Restored battlemented parapet. Lean-to extension to N of tower.
Interior: C15 pointed tower arch. 3 chamfered orders with crudely
moulded capitals. Belfry opening in N spandrel. C19 pointed chancel arch
with colonnette responds. C15 crown post roof in nave. Chamfered beams.
Braces from crown posts to collar purlin. Braced collar beams.
Ashlaring. Small curved brackets from walls to straight tie beams.
Chancel roof: ceiled to E, to W C15/C16 double collar beam roof exposed,
braces to lower collars. Timber lintels to nave windows. Wall painting
on nave N wall: mid C15 St. Christopher on brocade patterned ground.
Restored by E.W.Tristram 1937. C14 piscina in chancel S wall: filleted
roll moulding to pointed head, foiled basin. Above piscina an alabaster
monument to Lady Busby, d.1661, a bayleaf band around an inscribed slab,
empty cartouche at head, skull at base, fruit and ribbon ornament. Early
C18 floor slabs and an indent for a brass in chancel and nave floors.
Early C19 slabs on chancel N wall. Tapestry Royal Arms of George III
mounted on N wall of nave with plank dated 1814. Fragments of c.1390
glass in upper panels of E window in nave N wall. (RCHM 1910: VCH 1923:
Listing NGR: TL2136600462
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings