This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6796 / 51°40'46"N
Longitude: -0.215 / 0°12'54"W
OS Eastings: 523508
OS Northings: 199378
OS Grid: TQ235993
Mapcode National: GBR B2.Y6K
Mapcode Global: VHGQ5.715R
Entry Name: Dancers Hill House
Listing Date: 20 May 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103562
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164253
Location: South Mimms, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, EN5
Civil Parish: South Mimms
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: South Mymms
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 29 NW POTTERS BAR DANCERS LANE
8/200 Dancers Hill House
Large house. c.1750-60. Altered c.1820. Extended and remodelled c.1860 and
after. Built for Charles Ross. Stuccoed brick, slate roof. Elongated
Palladian villa. 3 storeys to original entrance front. Original 5 bays,
1:3:1, slightly projecting central feature. Ground floor: open triple
arcade, groin vault. Principal floor: attached Roman Doric order.
Pilaster strips continue emphasis of centre through cornice to parapet.
2 bays added to right, 5 to left. Glazing bar sashes throughout. False
window, right of centre on 2nd floor. Early C18 ovolo moulded thick
glazing bars on ground floor to right and first floor to left of central
bays. Plat band between 2 lower storeys. Continuous timber modillion
eaves cornice below parapet. Four cross axial stacks and left end stack.
Right return wall has a French window in an aedicular surround. Garden
front: 8 bays, 2 storeys, basement banked up in early C19. 3 bays to
centre of original villa project slightly under pediment. Glazing bar
sashes. Panelled door to right with side and top lights. Far right 3
bays set back with ground floor lean-to conservatory in front. Interior:
saloon on principal floor behind triple arcade which probably led to an
open loggia behind original portico. To left timber pergola link to
brick stores cottage with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys. Dentilled
brick courses. Later extensions. C18 grounds laid out with avenue to
N. (VCH Middlesex 1976)
Listing NGR: TQ2350899378
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings