This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6441 / 51°38'38"N
Longitude: -0.3589 / 0°21'32"W
OS Eastings: 513646
OS Northings: 195195
OS Grid: TQ136951
Mapcode National: GBR 54.45S
Mapcode Global: VHFSM.QYL0
Entry Name: Lululand
Listing Date: 21 June 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103577
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164187
Location: Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD23
Electoral Ward/Division: Bushey St James
Built-Up Area: Bushey
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bushey
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 1395 BUSHEY MELBOURNE ROAD
Fragment of large house, now serving as facade to a club building. Begun
1886 and completed 1894 for Sir Hubert von Herkomer, RA, with elevations
designed by H.H.Richardson. Ashlar and snecked Bavarian grey tufa with
rock-faced red sandstone dressings. Free Romanesque Style. Large
entrance porch, originally the base of a 4 storey tower and a short 3
window range set back to left. Steps up to a timber panelled door, multi
panelled lower half with hollow moulded frames to 3 upper panels.
Splayed ashlar reveals. Heavily voussoired sandstone round arch over
lintel and imposts with free acanthus ornament in a band. Similar relief
carving in tympanum with hollow and roll moulded surrounds. Massive
battered sandstone plinth to porch. Sandstone course at key level. Porch
truncated with stepped parapet. Left return has a tall casement in a
reveal. 3 window range to left has a similar plinth with heavily blocked
sandstone surrounds to vertical casements. Coped parapet. At left end a
wall breaks forward with a remnant of scrolled acanthus relief carving
at top. Lululand, named after Herkomer's second wife Lulu Griffiths, is
the only European work by H.H.Richardson. All but this fragment was
demolished in 1939. Building to rear is not of special interest.
(Pevsner 1977: Country Life 16/12/39 and 01/02/73).
Listing NGR: TQ1364695195
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings