History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Schopwick Place

A Grade II Listed Building in Elstree and Borehamwood, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6453 / 51°38'42"N

Longitude: -0.2974 / 0°17'50"W

OS Eastings: 517899

OS Northings: 195425

OS Grid: TQ178954

Mapcode National: GBR 7M.TZS

Mapcode Global: VHGQ3.SXM3

Entry Name: Schopwick Place

Listing Date: 25 February 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103588

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164213

Location: Elstree and Borehamwood, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD6

County: Hertfordshire

District: Hertsmere

Civil Parish: Elstree and Borehamwood

Built-Up Area: Elstree

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Elstree and Borehamwood

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Elstree

Listing Text

TQ 1795 ELSTREE HIGH STREET
(East side)
Elstree

14/162 Schopwick Place
25.2.52

GV II


House. Early C18, extended before 1776. Brick, green slate roof. Double
pile. 2 storeys and attic, 5 bays. Steps with curved railings up to
central entrance. Doric doorcase, attached columns, triglyph frieze,
broken pediment with mutules. Glazing bar sashes, rubbed brick flat
arched heads. Plinth, plat band between storeys, stone coped parapet.
3 flat topped dormers. Steeply pitched roof with 4 end stacks. Gable
parapets. 2 bay 1-storey flanking wings appear to be later C18 additions,
built as links to pavilions, that to left demolished, that to right
stables. Plat bands over rubbed brick flat arched headed openings,
sashes to right, blind to left. Coped parapets. Cement rendering to
return and rear of left wing. Attached to right and further forward are
stables, now garage. 2 blind round arches over opening with oculus in
gable. Dentilled eaves to right. To rear a 2-storey canted bay to right
and an upper storey addition on cast-iron column supports to left.
Central entrance with keyed arched head.Interior not inspected.
(RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TQ1789995425

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.