This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6441 / 51°38'38"N
Longitude: -0.361 / 0°21'39"W
OS Eastings: 513504
OS Northings: 195196
OS Grid: TQ135951
Mapcode National: GBR 54.3N0
Mapcode Global: VHFSM.PYJ0
Entry Name: Congregational Church
Listing Date: 12 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103601
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164146
Location: Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD23
Electoral Ward/Division: Bushey St James
Built-Up Area: Bushey
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bushey
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 1395 BUSHEY HIGH STREET
13/98 Congregational Church
Chapel. 1904 by P.Morley-Horder. Red brick with stone dressings. Slate
roof. Free Gothic Style. 5-bay hall with tower. Gable to front with 3
stage square tower to left and 2 storey entrance block to right.
Entrance in tower with a moulded 4-centred arch. Stone bands. Lower
stage with 3 light windows, pointed heads to each light, square hood
moulds, diagonal buttresses. Second stage has paired louvred openings.
Upper stage with 4-light cross windows, cusped heads to each light.
Parapet with merlons rising from clasping buttresses at angles,
central embrasures. Coped gable to front has a large window with a
pointed head and rectilinear tracery. Two 2 light square headed ground
floor windows. Stone plinth. 2 buttresses and a 2-light window to
projecting entrance block to right which has a 4-centred head over an
entrance with a 3-light window above. Coped parapet. Diagonal buttress.
5-bay return elevations, each with 3 large windows with pointed heads
and intersecting tracery. Twin gables over 2 bays towards rear. Towards
front smaller windows with square heads. Projecting vestry to rear left.
Interior: pseudo hammer beam roof with arched braces, quatrefoils in
spandrels. Vestibule below gallery at front end, gallery has canted ends
and trefoil headed pierced panels to front. Pointed moulded arch to
canted apse end. Flanking doors to vestrys have stone moulded 4-centred
arched surrounds. Original seating. (Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TQ1350495196
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings