This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6442 / 51°38'39"N
Longitude: -0.3645 / 0°21'52"W
OS Eastings: 513265
OS Northings: 195202
OS Grid: TQ132952
Mapcode National: GBR 54.2SC
Mapcode Global: VHFSM.MXPX
Entry Name: Bushey House
Listing Date: 14 September 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103609
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164163
Location: Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD23
Electoral Ward/Division: Bushey St James
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bushey
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bushey
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 1395 BUSHEY HIGH STREET
13/115 Bushey House
Large house, now offices. c.1825 possibly for T.Clutterbuck. Remodelled
and enlarged c.1900 probably for E.H.Cuthbertson. Stuccoed brick, ashlar
portico. Hipped slate roofs. Originally 5 bays, 1:3:1, extended to
sides. 3 storeys. Central entrance and flanking ground floor bays behind
a broad hexastyle Tuscan porch with a pediment. Outer bays of original
block project slightly. Cross glazed casements. Plat band to first
floor. Moulded band to second floor which has 2-light casements that to
centre with an Ionic aedicular surround with a segmental pediment.
Modillioned eaves throughout. Pedimental gables to outer bays with oculi
in blocked moulded surrounds. Flanking 2-storey wings set back slightly.
To left 3 bays, to right 4 bays with a ground floor canted bay with a
blind aedicular frame to centre, stained glass in ground floor windows.
Further right a 5-bay 1-storey passage, 3 windows to central bay, all
windows are tall and round headed with traceried heads. Pilaster
buttresses. Coped parapet. Garden front: 5 bay central block has a 2
storey bow to centre with 3 windows, balusters in parapet. 3 central
windows on 2nd floor have aedicular surrounds as at centre front. A
glazed rectangular lantern is in central valley. Pilasters to a moulded
cornice with round-arched breaks to centre, coved top light. 2-storey
flanking wings with canted bays, that to left with segmental-headed
ground floor French windows. In valleys behind each wing are octagonal
lanterns with pilasters to moulded cornices with round arched breaks,
ogee copper domes. Oriel windows on return walls. To left further 1, 2
and 3 storey blocks with similar features. Interior: entrance hall with
triple arcade. C20 block attached to right not of special interest. (VCH
1923: Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TQ1326595202
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings