History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Killingholme High Lighthouse

A Grade II Listed Building in South Killingholme, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6472 / 53°38'49"N

Longitude: -0.2188 / 0°13'7"W

OS Eastings: 517834

OS Northings: 418214

OS Grid: TA178182

Mapcode National: GBR VVX8.FB

Mapcode Global: WHHHB.ML0C

Entry Name: Killingholme High Lighthouse

Listing Date: 17 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103706

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165871

Location: South Killingholme, North Lincolnshire, DN40

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: South Killingholme

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: North and South Killingholme St Denys

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
East Halton

Listing Text

HUMBERSIDE
GLANFORD
5264

TA 11 NE SOUTH KILLINGHOLME
TA 178 182

11/71 Killingholme High
Lighthouse


GV II


Lighthouse. Established 1831, rebuilt 1876-7 for Trinity House. Brick,
rendered and colourwashed. 6-storey tapered round tower, 30 metres high.
Recessed plain door under timber lintel. Two recessed louvred openings to
ground floor, two or three 12-pane sashes to 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th floors
with projecting cills and recessed lintels. Moulded cornice supports
balcony to top floor with plain iron railings. Top floor has plinth,
incised band below cillband, wide east-facing window with vertical glazing
bars. Ribbed dome with scalloped eaves, capped with cylindrical ventilator
and weathervane. Stack rising from south side has stepped cornice and four
cylindrical pots. Plaque on north side inscribed:
THIS LIGHT HOUSE
WAS ENLARGED AND REBUILT BY THE
TRINITY HOUSE
OF KINGSTON UPON HULL 1877
JOHN WILSON (WARDENS
GEORGE HARRISON (
THE ONE AT S.E. WAS ERECTED IN 1836
WILLM COLLINSON (WARDENS
GEORGE NALL (
AND THE ONE AT THE N.E. IN 1851
JOHN SUGDEN (WARDENS
HUNTER ESTILL (

Lighthouse, no longer manned, is used in conjunction with the nearby
Killingholme South Low Lighthouse to guide shipping in the Humber, and in
the C19 was a link in the Hull Telegraph. D. Jackson, Lighthouses of
England and Wales, 1975, 104-5.


Listing NGR: TA1783418214

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.