History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Killingholme North Low Lighthouse

A Grade II Listed Building in South Killingholme, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6492 / 53°38'57"N

Longitude: -0.2196 / 0°13'10"W

OS Eastings: 517778

OS Northings: 418443

OS Grid: TA177184

Mapcode National: GBR VVX7.8L

Mapcode Global: WHHHB.LJNS

Entry Name: Killingholme North Low Lighthouse

Listing Date: 17 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103707

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165872

Location: South Killingholme, North Lincolnshire, DN40

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: South Killingholme

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: North and South Killingholme St Denys

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
East Halton

Listing Text

TA 11 NE SOUTH KILLINGHOLME
TA 177 184

11/72 Killingholme North Low
Lighthouse

GV II

Lighthouse and adjoining lighthouse keeper's house, now house. 1851 by
William Foale for Trinity House, with later alterations and additions to
rear. Brick, smooth-rendered to lighthouse, rough-rendered to house. Slate
roof to house. Front to seaward. 4-storey tapered round tower with 2-
storey 2-bay house adjoining to left (south); single-storey extensions to
left and rear. Tower: prominently splayed-out base, recessed bowed 12-pane
sashes with projecting cills to first three floors. Top floor has balcony
with plain iron railings, plinth, incised chamfered band, recessed panelled
door, small casement and wide 10-pane north-facing window. Ribbed dome with
scalloped eaves. Projecting stack corbelled out at top of tower, with 4
octagonal pots. House: projecting enclosed gabled porch to left with C20
door to right side, two 4-pane sashes to front with projecting cills and
recessed cambered arches and coped gable with shaped kneelers. Single
unequal sash with glazing bars to first floor right. Coped gable with
shaped kneelers abutting lighthouse tower to right; hipped roof to left with
end stack. Extensions to left in similar materials, with C20 casements and
hipped roofs. The lighthouse was used as a signal station for trawlers
until 1920. Date of erection and names of wardens recorded on plaque on
nearby Killingholme High Lighthouse (q.v.). D. Jackson, Lighthouses of
England and Wales, 1975, 104-5; D B Hague & R Christie, Lighthouses, 1975,
218.


Listing NGR: TA1777818443

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.