This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8951 / 51°53'42"N
Longitude: -2.067 / 2°4'1"W
OS Eastings: 395489
OS Northings: 221840
OS Grid: SO954218
Mapcode National: GBR 2MC.08J
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.4M4L
Entry Name: Sandford Park House
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103818
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474894
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52
Electoral Ward/Division: Charlton Park
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Luke and St John
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9521NW LONDON ROAD
630-1/19/479 (South side)
12/03/55 Nos.39 AND 41
Sandford Park House
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.39 AND 41
Sirsa House (No.39) and Horton House
Probably originally 2 houses, now offices. c1820-30. Stucco
over brick with concealed roof and iron balcony and rear
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys on basement, 11 first-floor windows
arranged 3:1:3:1:3 (including three 3-window full-height
bows); service ranges to rear. Second-floor band, crowning
frieze and cornice with blocking course. 1/1 sashes throughout
in plain reveals and with sills. Off-centre left entrance,
6-panel double doors with Doric columns in antis, frieze and
wide fanlight. Rear: entrance has tent porch on web-motif
INTERIOR: includes entrance hall at left with fluted frieze
and dentil cornice; narrow open-well staircase with stick
balusters and panels of scroll and quatrefoil ornament,
wreathed handrail; carved tread ends. Otherwise not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: first-floor continuous balustrade has
embellished rod motif with scroll panels and lattice frieze.
Right return has set-back former Doric porch with pulvinated
frieze and dentil cornice, now with sash windows.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Chatwin notes railings with urn finials
stamped RE and C Marshall, now missing. Shown on Merrett's Map
of 1834 as Keynsham Place.
(Chatwin A: Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork: Cheltenham:
1975-1984: 72; Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham:
Listing NGR: SO9550021830
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings