This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.789 / 50°47'20"N
Longitude: -1.1052 / 1°6'18"W
OS Eastings: 463170
OS Northings: 99211
OS Grid: SZ631992
Mapcode National: GBR VNS.MP
Mapcode Global: FRA 87K0.C81
Entry Name: Lord Nelson Monument
Listing Date: 18 March 1999
Last Amended: 5 December 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103855
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474996
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
County: City of Portsmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: St Thomas
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
774-1/12/395 GRAND PARADE
LORD NELSON MONUMENT
(Formerly listed as:
LORD NELSON MONUMENT)
Monument. Erected 1951. Moved from Pembroke Gardens to its present location from Pembroke Gardens in 2005. By F Brook Hitch, FRBS, to designs by Dr HJ Aldous LRCS, LSA. Bronze statue of Lord Nelson on granite base set on stepped plinth, bronze plaque on 3 sides. The monument is near the place on the beach where Nelson embarked for HMS Victory on 14 September 1805. Main inscription reads "Horatio Viscount Nelson K.B., Duke of Bronte in Sicily, Vice-Admiral of the White. His last hours in England before leaving for the battle of Trafalgar were spent at the George Hotel, High St., Portsmouth which hotel was destroyed with a great part of Portsmouth in a German air raid on this city on January 10th-11th 1941. His remains were brought to Spithead December 4th 1805 on board H.M.S. Victory which ship was badly damaged in the Forefoot by a bomb in a raid on the 10th March 1941." On another plaque is inscribed Nelson's prayer. The monument was presented to the city in 1951 by Dr HJ Aldous.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The monument has special interest as a high-quality piece of post-war public art by a noted sculptor, dedicated to a major figure in British history. It also has group value with a row of listed town houses and the Royal Garrison Church nearby. It was moved to its present location from Pembroke Gardens in 2005.
Listing NGR: SZ6425599150
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings