This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7209 / 50°43'15"N
Longitude: -3.535 / 3°32'6"W
OS Eastings: 291739
OS Northings: 92375
OS Grid: SX917923
Mapcode National: GBR P0.Q4TT
Mapcode Global: FRA 37H5.LMW
Entry Name: 143, Fore Street
Listing Date: 29 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103967
English Heritage Legacy ID: 89096
Location: Exeter, Devon, EX4
Electoral Ward/Division: St David's
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Central Exeter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 9192 SE 5/166 29.1.53
Set back behind Edwardian 2 storey shop front is the upper part of a fine 4 storey,
5 window, red brick front, dated on rain water heads 1716 and 1717. Burnt headers,
stone quoins, cornice and keystones. Later Georgian sashes. Red brick back elevation
is 3 window, original sashes with segmental heads. Coved cornice. Parapet, roof
not visible. 2 storey, 3 window plastered wing at right angles also has early
C18 sash windows. Doorway to Wheaton's Registered Office (modern building) has
enriched plaster hood on brackets, and was probably principal doorway to house.
Early Cl9 cast iron printing-press kept in courtyard as museum piece. This house
was probably built by Sir Thomas Bury, later occupied by Sir John Duntze (1749).
Nos 140 to 144 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: SX9173992374
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings