This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7094 / 50°42'33"N
Longitude: -3.5466 / 3°32'47"W
OS Eastings: 290896
OS Northings: 91112
OS Grid: SX908911
Mapcode National: GBR P0.QTZ6
Mapcode Global: FRA 37G6.G52
Entry Name: Cowick Barton
Listing Date: 29 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104011
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88998
Location: Exeter, Devon, EX2
Electoral Ward/Division: Alphington
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Exeter St Thomas the Apostle
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 9091 14/596 29.1.53.
Stone house with "E" plan, assumed to date from 1540 because of stained glass (now
removed) giving the arms of Edward VI as Prince of Wales. Interior has one chimneypiece
dated 1657 and one, perhaps earlier, with a biblical subject. Exterior is plastered,
with stone mullioned windows and origianal 3 storey porch with Tudor arched entrance.
New slate roof. Probably originally the Barton of Cowick Priory, which passed
to Lord Russell at the Dissolution. He may have built the present house for his
Listing NGR: SX9089691112
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings